Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 wins largest spectrum share in latest auction

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

We're proud to announce our £500M+ investment in the latest spectrum auction. That’s what powers a network, and ours is about to get even better. How, exactly? Our spectrum acquisition means more 4G for you as well as being 5G ready for the future, and help boost connectivity in the UK.

Welcome to a new Mobile Britain. See our full press release here.

234A_040318_The Blue_Spectrum Image_SOCIAL_V2.jpg

Headlines:

• Telefónica UK (O2) wins largest spectrum share in latest auction, investing £523.6 million in 80MHz and further demonstrates Telefónica’s commitment to the UK Market.
  • The company obtained 40MHz of immediately useable spectrum (2.3GHz) and 40MHz of spectrum expected to be used in the launch of 5G (3.4GHz).
  • New 4G airwaves to be switched on for customers within 24 hours of ability to deploy

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Skyhawk1010 I’ve been all over the place and I’ve never seen speeds like this.
Last time I’ve been to London I just thought “ignore you’re phone it will not work” surprise, worked fine in London.
For you to have an idea, it’s so bad in Manchester that I can’t even send an iMessage, using o2 3G roaming will full throttle is faster than Manchester’s o2 4G (no, this isn’t a joke).
My partner uses EE and same location speed tests are around 25Mbps (can drop to 20 over the weekend or any city centre events). I’m crossing my fingers, my iPhone X is already compatible with band 40, bring it on
Message 31 of 53

Skyhawk1010
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Proof of the pudding..

Message 32 of 53

Skyhawk1010
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Skyhawk1010
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
...is in the eating
Message 34 of 53

packages
Level 1: Joiner
  • 26 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Manchester wont be getting this boost soon due to Vodafone hosting the Machester Area.

Remember the East-West divide. There’s a reason why O2 have announced those certain cities to get this boost first.

Still great news for o2 customers though.
Message 35 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
There’s no listings for know. I still have hope
Message 36 of 53

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Thankfully I only have the need to go into Manchester once a week but hopefully soon I'll be able to use my phone on my weekly visit.

Message 37 of 53

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122348 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Not sure why people think Manchester won't benefit from it? No list at present and if previous threads on here are anything to go by, the poor coverage in Manchester is complained about just as much as London?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 38 of 53

Skyhawk1010
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I can’t say for certain, but my money would be on a near simultaneous switch-on up and down the country for 2300mHz. 

Unless practicalities dictate otherwise, it is absolutely in O2’s interests to get it all working ASAP. It will add a massive boost to present day users and also assist greatly in selling to new users and those from other networks.

Message 39 of 53

packages
Level 1: Joiner
  • 26 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@CleoriffI’m not saying they won’t benefit from it, just don’t expect the rollout to be as fast as o2 hosted cities.

In London there was a North/South divide between which network upgraded what but this has been getting unwound.

Here’s a good page explaining the split: https://legacy.pedroc.co.uk/vodafone_and_o2_4g_masts_by_beacon.htm 

Expect to see blistering speeds with compatible phones if o2 use the spectrum to its maximum ability though. 

Message 40 of 53