O2's 5G network is now LIVE!

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Header - Corporate_5G.png
O2 Switches on 5G with Unlimited Data, Flexible Plans and No Premium

• O2 launches 5G on its revolutionary Custom Plans, with unlimited data, and no 5G premium 
  • Network rollout begins across the UK today in Belfast, Cardiff, Edinburgh, London, Slough and Leeds, reaching a total of 20 towns and cities in 2019  
  • Exclusive partnership with MelodyVR and Oculus from Facebook gives music fans intimate access to gigs and musicians through cutting edge Virtual Reality 
  • Business partnerships with ITN, Samsung and Northumbrian Water Group demonstrate real-world 5G use cases and their potential to boost the British economy 

17 October 2019: O2 today launches its 5G network with a range of new tariffsincluding an unlimited data optionat the same price as its 4G equivalents. From today, customers can access 5G through O2’s revolutionary custom plans, giving them the flexibility to take advantage of 5G on their terms. O2 has also released an exclusive partnership tariff with Oculus from Facebook and MelodyVR, the destination for music in virtual realitygiving customers exclusive VR music experiences.

O2’s 5G network is launching in six locations across the UK: Belfast, Cardiff, Edinburgh, London, Slough and Leeds, improving capacity and reliability in key placesThe network will initially switch on where it’s needed most, including busy footfall areas around London Waterloo and Kings Cross; Haymarket in Edinburgh; Trinity Shopping Centre in Leeds; and Belfast South city centre; or in busy match-day hotspots around Twickenham or the Emirates Stadium. The network will be live in a total of 20 towns and cities by the end of the year, and 50 by summer 2020.

Mark Evans, CEO, Telefónica UK, said: “Today is a significant moment for our customers and our business as we switch on the O2 5G networkWe’re launching with a range of tariffs that make it easy and fair for customers to access 5G, with flexible plans that cost no more than 4G. We’re also switching on 5G in important parts of towns and cities first, places where it will benefit customers and businesses most.

"
I believe 5G is going to revolutionise the way people and businesses use mobile connectivity, unlocking huge possibilities for our economy and society. No one in the country has all the answers today, but I’m excited about getting it into the hands of our customers and working with leading partners to help shape the future of 5G for the next generation.”

For more information on our 5G launch, including our tariffs, more information on MelodyVR, our '5Guarantee', business partnerships and more, check out our full press release here.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Here's an infographic for you all, based on the information available in the above press release. Separated into bite-sized chunks, some of you may prefer getting the info from this... And we're not sharing this infographic anywhere else, besides internally with our people 😉

5G Infographic O2 Community.jpg

Message 2 of 36

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Good to hear, looking forward to seeing how the rollout progresses over the next few months (sadly not in my area at this time)
Message 3 of 36

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@PhoneChanger wrote:
Good to hear, looking forward to seeing how the rollout progresses over the next few months (sadly not in my area at this time)

Keep an eye on https://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker - it's just been updated to show the '5G layer', and is where you'll be able to check 5G coverage levels now and in the future for certain areas.

Over the next few months (and throughout 2020) we'll post regular updates on the rollout here and via our Social Media feeds. I for one can't wait until it's available in Glasgow - me and my Samsung Note 10+ 5G are ready! tongue_closed

Message 4 of 36

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Chris_K 

Good to hear, though I can't understand the rationale of choosing Leeds instead of Birmingham which is the 2nd largest city in the UK?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 36

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Great to hear !

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 36

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
o2 has a massive campus in Leeds so it makes sense to launch in leeds slight_smile and i work in Leeds so i can get 5G
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 7 of 36

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

@Chris_K wrote:

The network will be live in a total of 20 towns and cities by the end of the year, and 50 by summer 2020.

Are we allowed to know who is on the list or is that under wraps for now - not worried about order or dates, just curious as to locations...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 8 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:
o2 has a massive campus in Leeds so it makes sense to launch in leeds slight_smile and i work in Leeds so i can get 5G

Birmingham also has a massive campus, so that's no excuse @madasaf1sh  rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 36

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Chris_K Good to hear, though I can't understand the rationale of choosing Leeds instead of Birmingham which is the 2nd largest city in the UK?

The launch locations were carefully selected by our network team and the inclusion of Leeds and Slough are more recent additions to our launch, as it was originally planned for only the four corners of the UK when we first announced our 5G plans. I'm afraid I don't have any futher info behind how these locations were selected though, sorry.

@gmarkj wrote:

Are we allowed to know who is on the list or is that under wraps for now - not worried about order or dates, just curious as to locations...

EDIT: @viridis is ahead of me here. See below a full table of locations we're planning for 2019 and further locations for 2020.

5GLocations.png

Message 10 of 36