Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Webmail is closing - More info inside

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

If you use an @o2.co.uk email address you were given previously as part of a broadband or mobile phone package, we’re sorry to tell you that this service is soon coming to an end.

Why?
While some people used these free email accounts, the vast majority didn't, and instead have been using popular other email services like Gmail or Outlook (Hotmail) instead. From 7th June 2016, all o2.co.uk email accounts will be closed and you’ll be unable to send or receive emails using your o2.co.uk account from this date.

What about all my emails, attachments and contacts?
We can show you how to transfer your contacts, email addresses and attachments to Gmail and Outlook. Just make sure you move them before your o2.co.uk email account closes on 7th June. Unfortunately, we can’t transfer them to Yahoo! Mail, so you’ll need to set up either a Gmail or Outlook account to move them.

Likewise, if you use your O2 email address as your log-in for any online services, like banking or shopping, you'll need to update those too. Some customers manage their O2 account from their o2.co.uk email address. If you do too, take a look at www.o2.co.uk/myo2 where you can see your balance, check your bill and get the low down on your account any time you like with My O2.

We’ll be in touch again before June 7th, just to remind you of what’s happening. Until then, we hope this won’t cause too much trouble.

Got any questions or concerns?
Please let us know below – we always welcome and appreciate feedback. If you need more help transferring your emails and contacts, feel free to speak to an O2 Guru - Just check out Live Chat here, or pop into one of our shops.

Remember you can find more info on everything mentioned above here on our website

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 212
211 REPLIES 211

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Glad you found it useful slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 81 of 212

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Well done @MI5 slight_smile

@GenMayhem; Have you not received any communication about this at all? Have you checked your junk folder?

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 82 of 212

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice which I have been trying to follow. However, I cannot get my Windows Mail to properly accommodate my IMAP gmail and I cannot get my existing messages copied from Windows Mail into gmail.

When I try to transfer into gmail usig the import tool in settings, I usually get either 'this a/c cannot be imported right now, please try again later' or 'Gmail could not identify your POP Server' and no emails are transferred.

I have tried a permutation of settings in Windows Mail and in IMAP Gmail and noe seem to work properly. Most of these I have taken from web guidance from various sources.

Can anyone set out stage by stage, showing the entries I should make, to create this account properly in both systems in such a way that my existing emails can be successfully transferred into IMAP Gmail?

Any help or guidance will be much appreciated.

Message 83 of 212

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
For the incoming mail server (It's sometimes called the POP or POP3 server) you need
mail.o2.co.uk
Where you have an option for 'Use Authentication' on the outgoing server you need
User Name: your full O2 email address e.g yourname@o2.co.uk
Password: the password you use to login to the O2 website or when you check your O2 Webmail.
Just try for now to get your o2 email into gmail.
Let us know what settings you have tried so far also.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 84 of 212

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again - thanks for your kind offer of help. The process I have been going through is:

In Windows Mail

Tools / Accounts / Add / Select email account / Display name – showed name only, not email name and address / Internet email address / Set up email servers – IMAP; imap@gmail.com; smtp@gmail.com; tick ‘outgoing server requires authentication / Internet Mail logon – full email name and address; password; tick ‘remember password’ / Congratulations – tick ‘do not download my email and folders at this time’ – FINISH

Then back into properties for IMAP gmail address

On Servers – tick ‘remember password’ and ‘my server requires authentication’

On Advanced – set outgoing at 587 and incoming at 993 and tick SSL for both

On IMAP – no entry in root path and tick ‘check for new messages in all folders’; untick ‘store special foldrs on IMAP server’

Apply

Then Windows Mail box pops up saying ‘You have made changes to one or more accounts that may affect your list of folders. Would you like to refresh your folder list?

Select ‘yes’ and then WM popup – ‘the host IMAP@gmail.com could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Your IMAP command could not be sent to the server, due to non-network errors. This could, for example, indicate a lack of memory on your system.’

Imap @gmail.com is shown as a new folder in my list of folders but it is empty and I cannot transfer other folders or emails into it.

In Gmail

Appears to be set up OK and receiving copies of new emails being sent to my O2 address

Settings / Accounts and Import / Import mail and contacts – enter O2 name and address / enter O2 password; POP user name – full O2 address; POP server – mail.O2.co.uk; port 110 – did not edit and did not tick use SSL / select mail options – ticked import mail, leave a copy of the retrieved message on the server, add label to all imported mail (my O2 address)

Clicked ‘import’ and always receive message of ‘This account cannot be imported at the moment. Please try again later.’

Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Message 85 of 212

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi again - thanks for your kind offer of help. The process I have been going through is:

In Gmail

Appears to be set up OK and receiving copies of new emails being sent to my O2 address

Settings / Accounts and Import / Import mail and contacts – enter O2 name and address / enter O2 password; POP user name – full O2 address; POP server – mail.O2.co.uk; port 110 – did not edit and did not tick use SSL / select mail options – ticked import mail, leave a copy of the retrieved message on the server, add label to all imported mail (my O2 address)

Clicked ‘import’ and always receive message of ‘This account cannot be imported at the moment. Please try again later.’

I think we may need to take this one step at a time. For this setting (in bold) change to port 25, to see if it fixes the import issue.

I'll have to have a think about the windows mail issues.......

Currently using:
Message 86 of 212

Anonymous
Not applicable

It only allows preset ports and 25 is not one of them - I did try 993 but that did not help.

It is also showing the following 'Gmail couldn't identify your POP server. Please enter your POP server information below.'

Tried again with 110 and reached '‘This account cannot be imported at the moment. Please try again later.’ again!

Sorry that this is proving so difficult but I suspect that I have gone wrong somewhere.

Message 87 of 212

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Not been able to use port 25 may be the issue.
O2 mail only works on port 25 with auth off.

Currently using:
Message 88 of 212

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

You're doing a great job here @MI5

Are there any absences of info on our migration pages that would make it easier to help? If so, I can ask about providing more info for you.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 89 of 212

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

You're doing a great job here @MI5

I'm actually struggling tbh @Toby wink

I'm not using Windows Mail so it's making it harder for me to figure out.

Currently using:
Message 90 of 212