Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Recycle turns 10 years old

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

As many of you know, we are very proud of our O2 Recycle service and all we've achieved through it. On TrustPilot, 90% of reviews are rated 5 star, and we're the top rated recycle service of its kind on Review Centre. And now, with the service turning 10 years old, we've even more great news and stats to share this week!

An engagement ring made from the devices that brought the couple together
O2 Recycle helped a couple to create an engagement ring from the iPhone 5s smartphones that first brought them together. The ring was made exclusively from the smartphones they credit with bringing them together, in a world-first proposal.

Engagement ring made from recycled materials from the iPhone 5s that first brought them together

The ring is made from the handset speakers and microphones that James Lawrence and Hayley Orchard used for whispering sweet nothings to each other, the cameras they used for selfies and video chat when living apart, and a gold band created using the very circuit boards that kept those phones alive.

To read more about this story, check out the full details here.

Ten years of O2 Recycle: three million devices later, how far have we come?
A lot has happened in the last ten years. We’ve welcomed eight royal babies. London hosted the Olympics. And we’ve put environmental issues on the national agenda like never before. We’re all waking up to a more environmentally friendly way of life – from little changes like taking reusable bags for the weekly shop to fitting solar panels. At my house, recycling’s become a part of our day-to-day.

O2 Recycle has saved over 3 million devices from landfill, saved 450 tonnes of mobile phone waste ending up in landfill, and paid over £226M back to customers

It’s been a busy decade for O2 too. Ten years ago, an O2 customer recycled the very first phone under our newly launched O2 Recycle scheme. Today, over three million devices later, our customers and the environment are still reaping the benefits

The above is just a small excert from our Director of Corporate Affairs at O2's blog, which you can read in full right here.

If you would like to know more about our O2 Recycle service, how it works, what might affect your devices value, and more, then check out our guide with more info here.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
How exactly are they recycled? What do you mine from them and how much is actually recycled?
Message 2 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122383 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
How exactly are they recycled? What do you mine from them and how much is actually recycled?

Well someone deleted their account pretty quickly!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
More info

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It was recycled  thinking

I'll get my coat  neutral

Message 4 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122383 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
More info

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It was recycled  thinking

I'll get my coat  neutral

rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 6

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I know you're gone now, Anonymous person, but the engagement ring is made using the cameras, speakers, motherboard and sim card from two iPhone 5s smartphones. The band is cast in gold extracted from the motherboard of dozens of smart phones.

The ring was created by O2 Recycle to celebrate its 10th anniversary – in partnership with bespoke sustainable jeweller, Lylie’s.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 6 of 6