Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Welcome & News

Level 1: Joiner

Re: Connected Car – O2 Community Trial

Disappointed to have missed out on this Smiley Sad

Level 1: Joiner

I do not drive as I'm against pollution as I got diabetes from the exhaust fumes cars give out and me breathing it in at bus stops waiting for transport.
Topics: 573

@Robbie53 wrote:
I do not drive as I'm against pollution as I got diabetes from the exhaust fumes cars give out and me breathing it in at bus stops waiting for transport.

Don't worry, the trial is over now so we've all stopped driving again.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Topics: 580

Topics: 767

@jonsie wrote:

That's a new one on me, I didn't even know that was possible.

Diabetes from car fumes? Not clinically proven in any trial.

"Carbon monoxide poisoning (COP) causes hypoxic injury and inflammatory and immunological reactions in the brain and local organs including the pancreas. Therefore, it is plausible that COP may increase the risk for developing diabetes mellitus (DM), but studies on this possible association are limited". 

Unless anyone can link to anything recent, that's my understanding......

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker
Level 12: Nimble

The only way cars can contribute toward diabetes is from sitting in them and never actually walking anywhere or getting any form of exercise which can lead to problems. Mind you sitting in traffic with the vents open is going to let a lot of CO2 in which can’t be good for your lungs etc.
Topics: 142

[ Edited ]

Oops.

In response to previous re CO2 by @jezza1234 :

And CO (monoxide) and various oxides of Nitrogen.

Interesting would be a comparison of pedestrian, cyclist and driver's blood CO levels, if anyone knows of one. And a CO meter in the car...

Most Random Thread.pngMost Useful Guide.pngWe cannot access your account
Topics: 767

As this is something which interested me, I can post these findings from The Diabetic Council.

You would need to scroll down to Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. The article discusses AIR pollutants in general.

"Increasing numbers of data indicate that air pollutant exposure is linked to increase risk of developing type 2 diabetes. At the same time, these studies confirm a correlation between the level of air contaminants and the severity of insulin sensitivity in human subjects. What is even more alarming is that the levels of harmful particulate matter in the environment is positively correlated with the levels of blood glucose level of participants who live in effected areas."

https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/can-air-pollution-cause-diabetes/ 

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker