cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Text Campaign

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Guys,

Just to confirm that we’re contacting our customers who currently have 4G ready phones as we're giving them access to 4G for nothing!

All the details on this are here http://go.o2.co.uk/got4G

Only those who currently have a 4G phone but are on 3G plans can take advantage of this offer.

The messages you may receive about this will vary depending on whether you’re currently in an area that supports 4G or not. We’ll grant all customers who own a 4G ready phone access to this offer so you’re good and ready when 4G comes to your town.

We want as many people enjoying 4G as we can, at the moment our 4G could cover 17 million people in the UK!

This is part of our 2014 4G master plan, if you have any questions or thoughts- Let us know!

If you are one of the 600,000 customers who will enjoy free 4G, please do share some speed tests with the community too!

Thanks

Brad

Message 1 of 269
268 REPLIES 268

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Is anyone from O2 intending to answer these questions at all.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 269

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23046 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

Why does the 4G setup assistant say that to get 4G you need a 4G tariff, yet the OP from the mod says if you're a 3G customer you can get 4G for free? I'm on a 3G monthly rolling contract. I have a 4G ready phone that I bought sim free. Am I eligible for this? I've received no text. This is all a little confusing.

From what i can gather from the original post, yes, we will be receiving a text to let us 3G customers know that 4G will be enabled on our account for free.

Kinda sucks for the customers who have paid to use 4G though...although their increased download limit maybe makes up for it?

I'm curious as to how they will deal with me. My current 3G monthly rolling contract is a legacy contract with unlimited web. If I take the offer of 4G, what limit will they put on?

Yes, I'm with you MI5. Is it O2's intention to just post this announcement and then disappear and not reply to any questions?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 12 of 269

Anonymous
Not applicable
I recall some people on the older legacy tariffs giving unlimited data not wanting to lose this to take up 4G.

Hopefully this will be good news for them.
Message 13 of 269

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous can somebody answer the questions

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 14 of 269

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5  Were you on an 8Gb limit before the introduction of 4G?

@BambinoDepending on the terms of this offer (if we ever see them) they may decide to limit your downloads...or it might not be offered to you until you move away from a legacy contract?

Maybe @Anonymous  could come back and give us all some more information?

Message 15 of 269

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
No, I took an 8Gb 4G tariff at the introduction of 4G.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 269

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23046 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@MI5  Were you on an 8Gb limit before the introduction of 4G?

@BambinoDepending on the terms of this offer (if we ever see them) they may decide to limit your downloads...or it might not be offered to you until you move away from a legacy contract?

Maybe @Anonymous  could come back and give us all some more information?

I'm sure they'd limit my downloads. Question is to what extent? If they don't allow me a sizeable limit they know where they can put the 4G offer. wink

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 17 of 269

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

This was a paradox that slightly bemused me. I could have got a 4G tariff and suitable Microsim for an extra £5 per month even though there is nowhere within walking distance (unless you like really long walks) with a 4G signal. 

Even if O2 did manage to get 4G support in my region by say next year, that's still one year (£60) paid for a service I couldn't possibly receive anyway. My handset also supports 5 4G bands, so it would surely use of them.

I'll wait until the service matures and the coverage expands, which is OK because most of the time I use Wi-Fi.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 18 of 269

Anonymous
Not applicable

I must say I am very impressed with this.  Turned my 5s off today as couldn't see a data symbol at the top.  Once it re-booted saw, for the first time ever, the number 4 and the letter G in the top corner.

Nice surprise so well done and thanks O2 

Thanks!

FYI - London based, iPhone 5s on mid range contract (£30 odd quid a month)

Message 19 of 269

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
No, I took an 8Gb 4G tariff at the introduction of 4G.

In that case my last statement stands, those of us still on 3G will now be able to access 4G for free but I, for example, will still only have a 1Gb limit. They may continue to charge the early 4G adopters like you as you have an increased download limit.

Just my speculation, mind!

Message 20 of 269