Did you mean: 

O2 Roaming in USA 2023

dgboss10
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 24 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I have got Volt inclusive and I am going to US in July. Is the 0.5mbps data speed cap still applied and if it is what is the best way for me to use my phone while I am over there?

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23903 Posts
  • 1042 Topics
  • 3769 Solutions

@dgboss10 Yes the O2 data speed cap is still in place. If you're going to be in the US for any length of time and need data, a local Pay & Go sim from AT&T or T-Mobile would be your best option. If you aren't going to be there for long, there are many free WiFi access points, but you'd be wise to use a VPN if using public WiFi. If you need to keep in contact with friends and family in the UK, or in fact anywhere in the world, download WhatsApp. If you use it over WiFi it's free to contact anyone else who also has the app. You can also use Facebook Messenger or Skype over WiFi.

Roaming on O2 - All you need to know - O2 Community

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Bambino
  • 23903 Posts
  • 1042 Topics
  • 3769 Solutions

@dgboss10 Yes the O2 data speed cap is still in place. If you're going to be in the US for any length of time and need data, a local Pay & Go sim from AT&T or T-Mobile would be your best option. If you aren't going to be there for long, there are many free WiFi access points, but you'd be wise to use a VPN if using public WiFi. If you need to keep in contact with friends and family in the UK, or in fact anywhere in the world, download WhatsApp. If you use it over WiFi it's free to contact anyone else who also has the app. You can also use Facebook Messenger or Skype over WiFi.

Roaming on O2 - All you need to know - O2 Community

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 6

dgboss10
  • 24 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Is the speed with the speed cap 'Usable' for basic web browsing and phone calls?

Message 3 of 6

Bambino
  • 23903 Posts
  • 1042 Topics
  • 3769 Solutions

@dgboss10 No. At the speed provided you'll be lucky to be able to check your emails. Browsing would be best to do over WiFi. Phone calls have nothing to do with data. You'll be roaming for calls on the US network that is strongest in the area you're in.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 6

dgboss10
  • 24 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ah ok great. I will probably buy an esim before I go. What about other countries in the travel £6 a day zone such as Dominican Republic and Turks and Caicos, are they speed capped?

Message 5 of 6

Bambino
  • 23903 Posts
  • 1042 Topics
  • 3769 Solutions

@dgboss10 See this: O2 | Mobile Terms and Conditions - O2 Travel Terms and Conditions

1. O2 Travel is available to Consumer Pay Monthly customers and can be obtained as:
    1. a. a paid subscription, with unlimited minutes and texts and data (with capped data speeds of 500 kbps) in all our O2 Travel destinations (“O2 Travel Subscription”); and / or
    2. a free service in selected destinations only, as an offer on eligible tariffs (“O2 Travel Inclusive Zone”);

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 6