Did you mean: 

iPhone 13 Black Screened & Repair Update Provides No Tracking

RB7
Level 1: Joiner
  • 16 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello,

My iPhone 13 was constantly having hardware issues and o2 attempted to downplay these as a dodgy SIM card. The phone black-screened with 50% battery and would not come back on. I left it with o2 for warranty repair and I was told that I would get updates along the way, but it should take 4 working days to complete.

I am now on the 4th working day and the tracking code does not say if they have received the phone, let alone if they started working on it.

Does it normally take this long for repairs?

O2 has left me without a phone and refused to provide a loan device, although, expects me to continuously pay for a defective device.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10895 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 3121 Solutions

@RB7 

No one provides loan devices anymore, even if you took it to Apple and they had to send it away you would be without a phone, or if your TV broke under warranty they wouldnt loan you a TV, and you would still have to pay for it. 

All you can do is call o2 on 0344 809 0202 or use Guide: A Guide to Skype to call 0800 902 0217 and see if they can see an update.... but the 4 working days is indicative and not a guarantee....

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 2 of 18

RB7
  • 16 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

They are FCA-regulated and can not expect people to pay for a defective device. They need to either offer a loan whilst repairs are being completed, or the impacted loss deducted from the charges. No one can be expected to pay for a device or service that is not being received.

Additionally, the four working days may be indicative, although, it's specified within the terms and conditions of their extended warranties and they have a legal duty to ensure they are making endeavours to meet this deadline or must be able to demonstrate why they failed to do so, if this matter escalates to litigation.

They have provided zero updates, passed the promised deadline and have no customer service available. Regret not leaving O2 at the end of my last contract and they have become a joke since Virgin bought them out.

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/other-products-and-services/3-year-warranty

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 09.45.04.png

Message 3 of 18

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12450 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1152 Solutions

The important word there is "aim" - as in, we'll try but there is no promise @RB7 .

If you buy a car on PCP or finance and there is a fault you still pay for the car while it is being repaired. Same with anything bought using a payment scheme.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 18

RB7
  • 16 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes and as already discussed, that is indicative. However, if it proceeded to the FCA or Communication Ombudsman, they would be required to provide sufficient evidence of why they failed to meet this deadline.

Bearing in mind, reasoning such as being short-staffed is not deemed acceptable and is determined to be shortcomings within the business practices that impact the service their customers receive. O2 have been fined by the comms ombudsman for similar failures in the past.

As further stated, expecting people to pay for an unusable service or product is against FCA regulations and the Consumer Protection Act, thus, a strongly worded letter would promptly resolve that. Moreover, an indemnity claim via my banking provider would also resolve the matter, as they would reverse any charges for a service that has not been received.

So yes, the exact same would go for your irrelevant PCP deal. The finance company may attempt to charge you for their asset and blame the dealer or manufacturer for the issue, although, legally you do not have to pay for an unusable service. Consumer Rights Act 2015 implies a term in the contract that goods supplied under these types of agreements are of satisfactory quality.

Message 5 of 18

Enlli
  • 7338 Posts
  • 53 Topics
  • 1606 Solutions

Well, best of luck quoting all of that. Experience on here tells me you are on a hiding to nothing with O2.

Still, here is a revolutionary idea...have a back up phone to hand.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 6 of 18

RB7
  • 16 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've spoken with their repairs team who state the phone was received today and they are working on it and aim to provide an update or resolution later today.

So yea, I guess quoting all that did work slight_smile

But here's a tip for O2, don't sell defective items and expect customers to pay for them.

Whether a spare phone is accessible or not, the FCA and Consumer Rights Act exists for a reason. Evidently, you are a pushover who takes the first answer as gospel truth and has zero understanding of your own rights, or the regulations they must operate under slight_smile

A tip for you also - don't comment irrelevant nonsense on other people's discussions. What a sad life you must have when your entire life consists of responding with nonsense on an o2 forum slight_smile

Message 7 of 18

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10895 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 3121 Solutions

@RB7 

lets correct some factual errors from your posts.

1. o2 and Virgin are a JV between Liberty Global and Telefonica no one bought anyone out... 

2. o2 do not have to give you anything unless you can prove beyond any reasonable doubt that Apple provided o2 with a defective product. 

3.  I think you mean the Consumer Rights Act 2015, which confers rights between the seller and the FCA would take on board a nealy 3 year old Phone aka the iPhone 13 would be of merchantable quality, as it has lasted nearly that length of time.. (based on the Apple Release date of Sept 2021)

4. No need to be a rude, abusive and condescending prat to people on this community, as this is a customer to customer forum, where people have many years of experience both with o2 and the wider mobile community.  

A tip for you as well don't post on a public forum and then get nancy when people reply... 

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 8 of 18

RB7
  • 16 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

1) VMED O2 UK Limited, trading as Virgin Media O2, were founded in 2021 as part of a merger / acquisition. Which is the exact same as buying out a company and merging it with a pre-existing one.

2) I have sufficient evidence to prove the device was defective from the moment it was bought and o2 refused to respond to my concerns until the device completely failed. This includes correspondence and an independent diagnostics report from Apple.

3) No, I'm saying the FCA and Consumer Credit Act exist purely for independent intervention and consumer protection. If they sell a product on a 3-year contract, they have a legal duty to ensure that the product is fit for purpose for the entire duration of the contract. 

A release date does not in any shape indicate a purchase date and as expressed, the phone was not even half way into its warranty. Moreover, the condition report for the phone proves it was in perfect condition.

4) How has your years of experience in commenting nonsense assisted in my discussion? Simple - it has not.
You evidently don't even understand your rights as a consumer, or the legal requirements of a finance agreement.

Message 9 of 18

Enlli
  • 7338 Posts
  • 53 Topics
  • 1606 Solutions

Post flagged for abuse

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 10 of 18