Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Coverage

Jasonnonetwork
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I recently moved to o2 from Vodafone. Before I switched I looked at the online network coverage map for the areas where I live & work. The online map showed that the coverage in my area is both good indoors and outdoors and that 4G coverage is suitable for mobile broadband. So I switched to o2 with a 40GB data package.

What a mistake!

The online network coverage map is just a bad joke (aka a complete fabrication). In all the important areas where I need my phone to work, the network is garbage. I am getting download speeds on average of just 0.16mbps - that's when I can connect at all. When I try to report the fault online, it wont let me as it says the issue is 'congestion' If I contact customer services they say that either they have checked and everything is working fine, or they say that they are aware of the problem and are working on it. Well several months on, the problem still persists. Nothing has changed except for the fact that I am now out of the cooling off period.

All I want is a service that works, or to leave my contract with having to pay an early termination fee. Customer service don't want to help me with this. How do I proceed?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93978 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12620 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1155 Solutions

While I sympathise, the issue here is that the coverage map just shows where you should get signal - not necessarily what speed you will get from that signal.

If you are able, try changing the connection type to 3G (settings dependant on phone make/model) as this sometimes helps.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 12 of 15

Jasonnonetwork
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5, those excuses do not wash. I am using my phone outside in direct line of sight from the mast. No adverse weather, no trees, no terrain, just clear unadulterated line of sight. The network is just garbage. I suspect it is a backhaul issue. O2 are falsely advertising their network. When I search their network map at this location it quite clearly states that it is suitable for mobile broadband, which is a complete and utter lie.

Message 13 of 15

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11576 Posts
  • 63 Topics
  • 3163 Solutions

Just because you are in line of sight doesn't mean you connect to that mast, that is not how mobile phones work they connect to whatever the phone thinks is the strongest signal. and if your phone thinks the strongest signal is 5 miles away it will connect to that..

o2 are not falsely advertising anything, simple answer is pay off your contract and move, and hope the network you choose has signal and service, and their coverage map is 100% perfect, to be honest on that point more chance of seeing a flying pig!!!

--
iPhone 16 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 14 of 15

Jasonnonetwork
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

After 2 miserable months with o2, I have left my contract with no early termination fee. 

o2 falsely advertised their product showing good network coverage in an area that they new was riddled with issues and poor coverage. 😠

I am now once again able to use my phone with my new provider - woohoo 😀

Message 15 of 15