Mobile data not reconnecting unless forced

mtbandrews
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi All,

I'm really hoping someone can help me. 

Three weeks ago I upgraded to an iphone 13, and I've noticed that when the mobile data looses signal it doesn't always automatically reconnect, although I can force it to reconnect by turning on and off airplane mode.

I've tried using the chat facility here, and visited my local O2 store. We've hard reset the phone twice now, and have reset the network settings multiple times. Currently on my third SIM swap but the mobile data issue is ongoing and I'm not getting much joy finding an answer. 

Interestingly, I put my SIM into a spare iphone SE and the same issue arose on the spare phone, so I'm pretty sure it's to do with my settings rather than the handset itself.  

Has anyone here experienced this issue before, and if so did you find a resolution you can share please? 

I've been with O2 for many years so this was just a handset upgrade coupled with a new 5G tariff package. Bought from a third party online supplier rather than O2 direct as it was a better deal. I travel all over the UK for work each week so having to turn on and off airplane mode multiple times a day is becoming a bit of a bore! 

Many thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

timtams89
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@mtbandrews 

It seems the issue is specifically related to 3G. Once 5G/4G signal is lost and you drop down to 3G, mobile data vanishes. The SIM then keeps hanging on to this data-less 3G signal, until a forced on-off cycle. I've just moved to a property with low signal where I can see the phone connect to 3G for a fraction of a second before the issue pops up. 

Message 21 of 23

mtbandrews
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @timtams89 

Thank you. This is a good point. I don’t think I’ve ever seen my new phone on 3G. 

Does anyone know what might cause this?

Thanks 

Message 22 of 23

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 9124 Posts
  • 209 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

@mtbandrews 

The likely explanation would be that you handset drops down to 3G in the temporary absence of a 4g and 5G signal. @timtams89 has described the situation - what is the typical O2 signal strength in the areas that you frequent ?  

Message 23 of 23