Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messed Up with new SIM card?

SparkintheDark
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just joined O2 from Three - wanted to keep my number so had obtained PAC and entered that when ordering the new SIM card.

Got new SIM card, put it into my phone and texted SWAP to 20220 - then noticed that it seems like I was supposed to text it from my old SIM card and then not put the new card in until later.

Have I messed things up and lost my old number for good?  Any help would be appreciated as I'm drawing a blank with web searches for this.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

I don't believe so @SparkintheDark as using SWAP should only work if moving from one o2 sim card to another (for instance if you upgrade and get a new sim card) and not if you are swapping from one provider to another.

You should get some communication from o2 as to when the number move will happen.

If you have not then you might need to submit the request again (we see a number of times it fails if the PAC is given when signing up).

See some advice in the guide below.

Guide: Migration & porting into O2  

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 10

SparkintheDark
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ok, that's calmed me down a bit - I thought I had to do a swap as I got a text from O2 telling me to text SWAP to 20220.  When I log into My O2 it shows the 'new' mobile number right at the top - am I best off waiting for a few days to see if that changes?  A friend has tried to call me on my 'old' number and it's going straight to answerphone - presumably because my 'old' number hasn't yet ported over from Three to O2?

Sorry to be monumentally dense - I have never, ever been able to wrap my head around the process of hopping a number from one network to another, even though I've done it quite a large number of times by this point!

Message 3 of 10

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6530 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1480 Solutions

Assume you have a PAC code from Three and that you have given it to O2

Have a look at this guide

Guide: Migration & porting into O2  

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 10

SparkintheDark
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, as stated in first post I had PAC which I submitted to O2 at the time I ordered the new SIM.

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@SparkintheDark 

To be safe, I'd contact O2 with your PAC and request the port in.

If you message O2 on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 10

gmarkj
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

Is the Three sim in a phone still or is it lying on a side somewhere @SparkintheDark ?

If in a phone and it now shows no signal then it the number could be on the move. If it is still live then nothing has happened yet.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 7 of 10

SparkintheDark
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@gmarkj I just put the Three SIM into my phone and it still has signal - a text just came through to it from O2:

Sorry, we are unable to move your number on the port date 13/08/2022 so we will do it on the port date of 15/08/2022. 

I presume this is because it's now Friday afternoon and so it needs to be next working day (which is fine by me). So, my question now is do I leave that Three SIM card in or do I put the O2 card back in?

Message 8 of 10

gmarkj
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

You are correct about the dates - ports don't happen over weekends, so the Monday is the next one @SparkintheDark .

If people have your old number then keep using the Three sim until it loses signal. You don't have to be using the o2 one for the port to work.

Message 9 of 10

SparkintheDark
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@gmarkj Thank you so much - feel much better about all of it now!  I'll wait until the current SIM 'dies' and then put the new O2 one in.

Message 10 of 10