Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International e sim overseas

Jools460
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Has anyone purchased an e sim overseas to make local calls there eg grab? Going to Vietnam & Cambodia in a few weeks. Want to get an e sim for my new phone (new to O2 also) so that I can make local calls whilst there, and not have to use my U.K. sim. Has anyone done this, and if so - how did it work, how did you get on? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149612 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

@Jools460 

Your problem will be finding a network that will provide an esim on PAYG as I assume you only want it for a week or two?

Otherwise, it will work as any dual sim phone.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 7

Jools460
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi. It’s not a PAYG, but contract. I’m getting an e sim. Apparently, that will allow me to use overseas with my own number, but at overseas rates as the phone is a dual sim. Got to get to grips with selecting correct sim when using….! Eek! Luckily, spoke to someone at O2 this morning, over another matter, and checked with them too. Found these sites I’m going to checkout….

oh, won’t let me paste….🤔

Message 3 of 7

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 24019 Posts
  • 1046 Topics
  • 3774 Solutions

@Jools460 To call friends or family in the UK use WhatsApp over WiFi, which is free. Whoever you're calling must have the app as well.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149612 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

@Jools460 

There is no such sim you can get to do what you want as you can't have your number on 2 sims. 

To do what you need, you would have to get a local sim whilst out there.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 7

Jools460
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Bambino, thank you. Yes, I was aware of this, and would use on a Wi-Fi connection. It was to call eg Grab, local tour operators etc, that I wanted the digital e sim 

Message 6 of 7

Jools460
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’ve found a number, including -travel Tom Tom, airalo, then country based pre paid data plans, and prepaid e SIM cards - again on traveltomtom.com

Message 7 of 7