Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International dialling tone on Wifi calling

elenar
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place. 

I have an o2 phone number. Since lockdown, I've been routing our old work landline to my mobile phone. 

I'm potentially going to be in France for several months, I can work remotely, but my boss doesn't want our customers to hear an international dial tone. I've talked to several VOIP and similar companies, but then my friend suggested a simple answer and I wanted to check it was possible.

She suggested I put my phone in airplane mode and enable wifi-calling. That way the calls aren't bouncing off data towers. I tested it with a brick phone and was happy to see I could still take calls from a non-wifi enabled phone. But what I don't know is, would my IP address register me as abroad? Does wifi calling still have an international dial tone? If anyone knows the answer to this, I'd be really grateful.

Best,

Elena

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@elenar Unfortunately o2 WiFi calling doesn't work abroad. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

elenar
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @MI5 

I don't suppose you know of a way to shield an international ring tone while abroad? 

Best,

Message 3 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@elenar 

I found this service but you have to pay.

https://www.ttnc.co.uk/services/call-management/bolt-ons/uk-ringtone 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 8

elenar
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @Cleoriff That's really helpful and kind of you to have looked. I will check it out. 

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@elenar 

You'd need to route the calls through a UK Skype number (or similar UK VOIP service).

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

elenar
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Great, thank you so much MI5!

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You're welcome slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8