Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G sim swap

ShirleyC78
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, i've received new Galaxy S20 today, and rather than use old 4G sim from the S9 I wanted to use the new 5G sim and do the sim swap.  I'm worried I lose apps and more importantly contacts that are on my current sim.  How do I get them over safely?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144643 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions

@ShirleyC78 

There won't be any apps or contacts on your sim. They are all on your phone.

When you sign in to Google on your new phone all will be imported.

However, sim swaps are takeing ages right now, so you might want to wait a while if you want full use of your new phone, and just use your old sim in the interim.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

ShirleyC78
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Excellent thanks.  Sometimes when I add new contacts it asks do I want to save to phone or sim, this was why I wondered.  Given 5G isn't readily available anyway i'm probably as well using old sim for now.

Thanks grin 

Message 3 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23145 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

@ShirleyC78 You shouldn't have any contacts on your sim. Take a look at your Google account. They should all be there.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/SIM-Swap-a-mini-guide/ba-p/1060675

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Great advice not to do the sim swap yet. The system doesn't appear to be working at all just now @ShirleyC78 

Message 5 of 8

ShirleyC78
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, had a look and can't see any phone number contacts in it.  Odd!  Hopefully it works when I fire the sim in.  Fingers crossed. It's usually OK to be fair when swapping from previous Samsung device.

Message 6 of 8

ShirleyC78
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yeah it's definitely looking like the best option for now.  Cheers

Message 7 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23145 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions
@ShirleyC78 If you're not in an area where 5G is up and running and strong there's absolutely no need to do a swap at the moment. With the situation as it is right now, there are too many things that could go wrong, and you'd have no ability to get any support from O2 if it did.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 8