Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G data speed

fozzie_pinmill
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

5g data speed at postcode ip9 1ap is no better than 4g. How can the speed be increased? Is it possible that O2 throttles the data rate, if so can the throttle be removed? Very disappointed buying 5G service, expensive Zyxel NR7101 router, which shows 5G connected, and excellent signal strength (I can see the mast from where the antennae is!) and still only 40Mbps download speed 😞

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7121 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1586 Solutions

It's nothing to do with signal strength or being able to see the mast. It's about bandwidth and the capacity of the back haul. 

As stated, present 5G is None Stand Alone and still requires 4G infrastructure to operate.

Ofcom won't be interested, they know the know the state of play of the networks and it's not just O2. 

The government too wants 5G capabilities playing up, and 'independent' OFCOM is happy to go along.

Rule of thumb I give to everyone 

Never sign up for something without testing first and be prepared to use the 14 day cooling off period early on 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 11 of 21

fozzie_pinmill
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, just up river from the marina. The external router connects at 5G with a -85dbm signal strength, which is considered "excellent". Ofcom's mobile checker does show ee as having reasonable reception at my location, but O2 as excellent, hence why I went with them, as well as buying an expensive mast mounted router. It will be a pain returning the router, as some of the packaging blew into the Orwell while I was on the roof fitting it!

Message 12 of 21

Enlli
  • 7121 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1586 Solutions

Again the OFCOM checker mainly deals with signal strength

My signal bars on O2 5G are 4 and data speeds around 65 mbps.

Signal bars on EE 5G hover between 1 or 2 and data speeds average 116 mbps 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 13 of 21

fozzie_pinmill
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Is that EE speed from near the marina or elsewhere?

Message 14 of 21

Enlli
  • 7121 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1586 Solutions

No. Down by Foxes Marina

Message 15 of 21

fozzie_pinmill
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Brilliant - thanks for that. It at least gives me some confidence that assuming the 5G gets to me, that there is no backhaul bottleneck with EE, and we should be running off of the same mast.

Message 16 of 21

fozzie_pinmill
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Fitted EE SIM in the external router today, and getting speeds around 200Mbps, with ping delay around 30mSec - which is a bit more like it! -85dbm signal strength at 5G, so hopefully will be stable. One anomaly, was that the 2.4Ghz wi-fi was total rubbish - 10Mbps, down to less that 1Mbps, whereas 5Ghz and wired connections were 120 - 200Mbps. There are 15 APs in the network, so tried different locations (all of the AP channels have been set so as not to overlap the same channel number) and the issue was constant. Next port of call is the TP-link forum, to see if there are any reports of issues on the latest firmware, but client (well, their kids at least) is over the moon. O2 could learn a lot about meeting customers expectations - installing 5G connectivity but having inadequate back haul, will not win them any customers...!

Message 17 of 21

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10642 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3094 Solutions

Hang on is this a commercial installation with 15 Access Points or just a very big house??? @fozzie_pinmill 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 18 of 21

fozzie_pinmill
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It is actually a very big private dwelling /  house! There are wall port mounted APs, as well as ceiling mounted ones, all with GE connections, and meshed APs to get to various out buildings. It was just really odd that the speed test at 2.4Ghz was so poor - I was stood under the AP, which had a 2m cable to the Gigabit switch.

Message 19 of 21

fozzie_pinmill
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It is actually just a very big private dwelling / house! A mixture of wallport mounted and ceiling mounted APs, as well as some meshed APs to get to various outbuildings. It was so odd that stood under the AP, which had a 2m CAT6 to a gigabit switch port, and the 2.4Ghz band speedtest was so poor, but go on to the 5Ghz, and it was blisteringly fast!

Message 20 of 21