cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrading

Anonymous
Not applicable

i have just over 2 months left on my contract, pay monthly. i was checking out an upgrade, to a galaxy note 3. £649.99 0r £489 over 24 months. with my tariff, it would be £27 pm, and then o2 want £20pm for the phone. making my bill £47pm. after a google search on the equivalent phone, i see that lots of companies give the phone for free, and my tariff would be £29pm.

as a long standing customer of o2, it doesnt seem that i am getting any loyalty bonus, or looked after. time for a change i think. anyone else had this issue.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

O2 provide their fair deal policy which means they give the same deals to new and existing deals.

Loyalty is a thing of the past I'm afraid.

😞

You could ring them on 202 and ask for a retentions deal. They may or may not offer one.

If so great and be ready to link them into the deals you've seen elsewhere.

If not then upgrade in an independent.

The independents can give better deals but they cannot offer O2 deals such as the Refresh Tariff.

You are right by shopping around to get the best deal available.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

O2 provide their fair deal policy which means they give the same deals to new and existing deals.

Loyalty is a thing of the past I'm afraid.

😞

You could ring them on 202 and ask for a retentions deal. They may or may not offer one.

If so great and be ready to link them into the deals you've seen elsewhere.

If not then upgrade in an independent.

The independents can give better deals but they cannot offer O2 deals such as the Refresh Tariff.

You are right by shopping around to get the best deal available.
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just want to say whoever you get it from its a cracking phone you will love it I do mine
Message 3 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Bear in mind that "refresh" is only available on O2 directly, so if you are happy to have the same phone and contract for the next 2 years, go to an independent, otherwise stay with O2 and you can pay off the phone and upgrade every 6 months if you wish.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 6

a_hcir
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 133 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

For the best (overall) price, you're better upgrading through a reseller and maybe considering cashback deals (even if they're tricky to claim back).  o2 refresh is simply not competitive compared to the reseller prices, unfortunately, and you pay top whack for the price of the phone.

Also be aware that if you upgrade through a reseller, if o2 ups their price by RPI again this will affect the whole price of the contract and not just the "airtime plan" part.

Another thing to consider is maybe looking for a SIM free model and going SIM only?  The SIM free ones are falling in price like a stone, will likely be cheaper overall.  If you're happy with the o2 network and aren't bothered with Tu Go or Priority Moments, consider getting a SIM only plan with Tesco or Giff Gaff and going down the SIM free route.

It is an amazing phone, I'd heartily recommend it.

Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

The ideal time to call Retentions about options for your upgrade as an existing customer is when you are in the last 30 days of your contract, the type of deal available to you is dependant on a variety of factors such as your tenure, payment history, and also the phone you are looking for.

if you have found a deal elsewhere it is best to make a note of where you saw the deal and the details of the tariff because *if its possible* the advisor will try to match it for you or alternatively offer you the best deal O2 can do for you which may be better than what you can see online/in store.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do slight_smile

Message 6 of 6