Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paying off monthly contract

Lew_Taylor
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello everyone, i would like some advice about my o2 pay monthly contracts. i currently pay out x amount of pounds each month for three mobile phones in my family. recently at work we have been told the place is up for sale and there is some uncertainty as to if we will all still have a job if the place is bought out or we will be made unemployed. if im made unemployed i dont know how long it will take for me to get another job therfore my wife and i have been looking at incomings and outgoings just in case as i have never been up s creek without a paddle and never want to be. i purchased the phones from carphone warehouse at various times so they are not on o2 refresh, one has 15 months left, one has 11 months left and the other has 7 months left. when i click on my o2 it has a link that says upgrade now. when i click that it has a cost in pounds on there minus 25% discount for monies outstanding on my contract. what i would like to know is if i payed this amount off does it clear the time off the contract and am i free to move to a cheaper plan or ask for my pac code without incurring any penalties. many thanks lew.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The discount is only if you upgrade to refresh.
You need to pay the monthly cost times by the number of months remaining for each contract.
How to cancel https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/hig...
How yo get PAC https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-to-get-your-PAC-2017-Update/ba-p/1052278
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The discount is only if you upgrade to refresh.
You need to pay the monthly cost times by the number of months remaining for each contract.
How to cancel https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/hig...
How yo get PAC https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-to-get-your-PAC-2017-Update/ba-p/1052278
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lew_Taylor The contracts would have to be paid in full before you can upgrade to a cheaper plan. 

Message 3 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Lew_Taylor Paying off your contracts would cost you a lot of money. The only advantage to that would be that you would own the phones. You then could just go on sim only contracts, or even Pay & Go, which would cost you less. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 8

Lew_Taylor
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks guys for the replies, im just planning for the worst case scenario really i dont want to be out of work and us having unecessary bills coming in so were being sensible and cutting our cloth accordingly, my wife works full time so we are just covering all angles.if i were to pay the contracts off it would be a big bill to pay, a bill i would rather pay now and get rid of rather than finding im lumbered with three monthly contracts to pay and no job to go to. i have four job interviews in the next fortnight but i dont know if they will be interested in a middle aged man with plenty of qualifications and over 25 years experience. we will wait and see. cheers lew.

Message 5 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Lew_TaylorSeems a sensible decision. Best of luck with your job interviews wink

Welcome to the forum by the way Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Best of luck mate.
There's always something available for those prepared to and able to work.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Lew_Taylor. Paying off your contracts now while you have the money is probably a good idea. O2 aren't very sympathetic to customers who fall behind with their payments, and are very quick to turn overdue bills over to collection agencies, and put negative marks on your credit rating. We've seen lots of stories over the years.

Good luck with your job hunting. Hope something good turns up for you soon.:smileyhappy:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 8