cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 practically unusable during the day.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in CM7-*** (Essex) using an Alcatel One Touch X230D USB Modem and I believe I'm using the Marks Farm Tesco mast. According to http://status.o2.co.uk/ my live results are:

Normal coverage for Mobile internet and voice (3G)

Fast networking. For smartphones, dongles and tablets.

Good indoors and outdoors. Good for mobile broadband.

This is not the case at all, it's not even close to the truth.

Signal strength is a constant wave of little and none during the day.

For instance during the day I can do a Google search and get the results INSTANTLY (as I would expect), yet no more than a minute later the same Google search takes quite literally FOREVER! I'm sat like a pleb looking at a white screen and a spinning loading icon, Just to get to this community page took close to ten minutes!!!

I'm forever being logged out of games/forums chat etc because of this 'fluctuating data wave' but I never lose my connection to o2?

I get download speeds of 1-7kb/s during the day, the same download from the same provider at 2am in the morning peaks at 260kb/s.

So whats going on?

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

iar1980
  • 127 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

As suggested in an earlier post check the network status page with vodafone as this will shed more light. I have just done a quick check with your postcode CM7 and their are some unexpected issues in the area

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/our-network-and-coverage/uk-coverage-map/index.htm?=network

I am based in the midlands and i get most of my information from the vodafone network status page than o2's as vodafone look after the phone masts in the south of England as part of the phone mast agreement.

Current Phones: iPhone XS Max
Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Pixel 2 XL, iPhone 7, HTC 10, HTC One (M8), HTC One (M7), iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 5s, HTC One A9, HTC Desire HD, Lumia 640 XL, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Appreciate your frustration. We've all been there. I had over two weeks of intermittent signal issues. 😞

Here is a link of generic solutions. http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Self-help-guide-Is-the-network-down-for-me-or-ev...

I would suggest downloading the MYNETWORK app to report the masts as they may be congested.

Use the vodaphone checker too due to mast sharing theirs may shed more light.

Edit / in the interim if your pay monthly look at using Tugo which can run off home wifi.

What's app or viber are alternatives if the recipients hsve them downloaded too.
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have alredy looked at the'generic solutions link' before making my post and I'm at point 5 of said link.

• If no issues show and your phonedongle/SIM are okay, report to O2.

I cannot download the 'My Network app' because i'm using a PC.

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Then that's the avenue to follow.

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
Message 4 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
"Mast Congestion" is all too common an issue in some areas these days.
Hopefully, the planned network improvements will alleviate the issues, but many are suffering in the meantime 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is an issue close to my heart having spent 9 months telling o2 about exactly the same issue.

I took my case to o2 complaints
complaintreviewservice@o2.com
And then after they were unable to help I went to higher level complaints via an email to the CEO of o2 uk.

The result? On Friday the Communications Cell at my base station by work was upgraded and went live last Friday. Daytime downloads went from 0.01 mbs (unusable) to 7.4mbs.

It's a long haul but it's worth it.
Message 6 of 9

iar1980
  • 127 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

As suggested in an earlier post check the network status page with vodafone as this will shed more light. I have just done a quick check with your postcode CM7 and their are some unexpected issues in the area

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/our-network-and-coverage/uk-coverage-map/index.htm?=network

I am based in the midlands and i get most of my information from the vodafone network status page than o2's as vodafone look after the phone masts in the south of England as part of the phone mast agreement.

Current Phones: iPhone XS Max
Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Pixel 2 XL, iPhone 7, HTC 10, HTC One (M8), HTC One (M7), iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 5s, HTC One A9, HTC Desire HD, Lumia 640 XL, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in SS14 - Basildon Essex and having the exact same problem!

I cannot connect to the internet at all on my phone while I am at work and this is not helpful as I am waiting for some very urgent and important emails that I cannot access any other way during the day!

I have checked online and it states that the mast is experiencing a high number of requests blah blah blah, I rang yesterday and got told there was nothing I could do but wait and that allegedly their engineers are working on it but there's no date for completion.  Well I think the 4 days I've currently been without is more than enough!

I have missed several important emails and have not been able to use my phone/contract etc to what I am meant to!

I always said I'd never do it, but my contract is up in October and looks like EE might have to be an option!!!!

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a classic case of out the frying pan in to the fire.

I left Vodafail after 11 years loyal custom because of this very issue and nothing being done about it.

It was a stormy night, the wind was blowing and rain was punishing and streaks of lightening filled the sky when suddenly the signal was gone, the storm had damaged the signal mast.

This storm was two years ago!! and for two years nothing has been done.

Days/weeks I spend on Vodafails case, talking to this guy then this other guy then someone else....on and on this went and I tell you I'm not doing it again.

If only I had known you share masts with Vodafail, If only!!!!!.

I have checked Voda's website and I'm purple (3g indoors and out) infact virtually the whole map is purple.

They 'like you' say everything is hunkydory and with 'like you' no mention of mast congestion.

1.5 million a day improving your system? All that tells me is you have spent 1.1 BILLION since my problem occured and you STILL havent fixed the damned thing!!!

I see no alternative but to go with a different provider, who uses THEIR OWN WORKING MAST.

Aramith, a seriously miffed ex-customer.

Message 9 of 9