cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 4g / voda 4g Cornerstone Project

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 and Vodafone previously announced the pooling of much of their tower infrastructure. This project would result in better coverage for both networks although some towers would ultimately be removed.

As a general guide o2 took responsibility for the east and Vodafone for the west.

I now have both o2 and voda phones now as I lost faith in o2 to provide a good network and I am now finding Vodafone have better coverage and actual 4g coverage in more and more areas that o2 do not. Whilst not all sites are shared so many are so how has this differential occurred? Is Vodafone's Project Spring starting to take off?

where is o2 in all of this? ??
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can only speak for my area and I have one mast near by where i can get 4G on O2, and I know vodafone also use this mast and they too can get 4G as my mate is on there network.  But best is they have not yet show you can get the 4G service in this area. They (O2) are so slow.

Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Piperdog123

I'm sorry to be answering first in your thread but I wanted to ask.

Have you asked O2 officially about things like this and have they ever communicated with you to give some official answers.

As ever I follow your posts and threads with great interest as they hold oodles of useful
Info.
Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been in contact with o2 as you know however in terms of their network improvement plans alas they continue to hide this information in Fort Knox.

Apart from advising me of specific issues relevant to this area they will not say anymore for whatever reason.

Indeed Vodafone are being much more open about things via their website by sharing the next 3 months plans. O2 could learn a few things. I was told 4g was coming here by end Dec, clearly that ain't happening either.
Message 4 of 15

iar1980
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 127 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

That all depends on a number of things, i.e. in the area you are based who is looking after the upgrade of the masts vodafone or o2, also on each mast shared both vodafone and o2 will have their own equipment installed, meaning they will share the same antenna to project coverage, but the equipment used to power out the coverage and bandwith from the antenna will vary as both providers will use their own equipment. Approx 6 months ago, i tried out both vodafone and o2 and the reason i went with o2 was it was a very good offer i received in terms of value for money for me, but vodafone definately projected better speeds and ping times than o2 when i conducted these tests both at home and at work. 

Vodafone do not have restrictions/caps unless abused by the user, where as o2 do put some restrictions during peak hours.

Only today my brother who has recently joined vodafone came to my house. I tested both vodafone and o2 with a speed test and response time (ping). The strength of the coverage was identical, but vodafone was definately quicker and had a better response time.

I don't know if anybody else has had a similar experience, but my sim only contract ends in April and i will definatley be staying with o2 or moving to vodafone as i am after a better overall experience in terms of call and data coverage. Something i will not get with EE or Three, especially indoors.......

Current Phones: iPhone XS Max
Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Pixel 2 XL, iPhone 7, HTC 10, HTC One (M8), HTC One (M7), iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 5s, HTC One A9, HTC Desire HD, Lumia 640 XL, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your reply Nick.

As you say we know they won't / can't advise for whatever business reason they see fit - which doesn't install confidence in those that are having such issues.
Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Excellent points raised and answered @iar1980

Happy to oblige as always BoB 😆😆
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous 

Just another note I did go to an O2 shop and ask about 4G if it was coming to the area ect. The assistant ask the manager who was kind and had a look on his works phone at data about when 4G was being rolled out this year and next year. As he was part of a francise he said O2 dont put the infromation on any platform but was willing to share when asked. Maybe ask in the shop for further information.

Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why on earth o2 don't give the detail out is beyond me. Just an explicitly clear estimate would help the majority.
Message 9 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149551 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
Aerial Communications (remember them?) have this on their website - Take from it what you will wink
https://www.aerial-telephones.co.uk/aerial/o2s-continuing-4g-rollout/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 10 of 15