cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no wifi calling

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought my note 8 from mobiles.co.uk on O2 only to then find out that I cant use wifi calling - which is a right pain where I live.

I know its becasue of the firmware but there must be something I can do?

It's like buying a ford from a mazda garage, only to find the ford you bought doesn't have a gearbox becasue you bought it from a mazda garage.

O2 when sold whould be O2, not O2 minus some really important stuff, like wifi calling

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey guys, just jumping in as there seems to some confusion around Wifi calling on an open-market Note 8.

We’re working with Samsung on getting this implemented across Open Market Note 8’s but don’t currently have any ETA on when Samsung will be able to push this out as part of an update. If/when we know more, we’ll let you know.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144341 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions

The S8 should work on open firmware.
Have you enabled it in your MyO2 under device details, and turned it on in your phone settings?

See help here https://www.o2.co.uk/business/support/network-support/wifi-and-4g-calling

How to check if your firmware version is compatible - Samsung

To check if your phone’s running O2 firmware, dial *#1234# on one of the supported devices and look at the CSC entry. If this line includes ‘TEF’, ‘O2U’ or ‘OTF’ then your device has O2 firmware and you can set up Wifi and 4G Calling. If you have a Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8 Plus, the CSC might also include ‘OXM’. This means you have open market firmware and can use Wifi and 4G Calling.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 16

jonsie
  • 93234 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions
Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I already said

"I know its becasue of the firmware but there must be something I can do?"

So telling me to make sure I am running the right firmware isn't going to help.

I bought my phone and an O2 contract from mobiles.co.uk and this does noty have the O2 firmware.

Problem is, no one told me when I bnoughtr it - "oh don't forget that even though you are buying an O2 contract, you won't be able to use O2 wifi calling"

Message 4 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

When did you buy it @Anonymous? Do mobiles.co.uk have a cooling off period,? If within that you could return it and buy directly from O2. 

Otherwise make a complaint. https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 16

MI5
  • 144341 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Moral of the story is don’t buy cheap if you want all of the networks services.
The same applies to EE and Vodafone if you want to use WiFi calling.
I can’t see any complaint would be upheld and even if it was, what would you expect to be an acceptable outcome?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 16

jonsie
  • 93234 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

Very annoying but to be fair the salesman probably didn't know and I know that's not what you want to hear and yes, not your problem.

I suggest you make a complaint.

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Message 7 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@MI5, Whilst I agree with some of your statement, you can't expect users to know they wont get the same services if they buy an O2 phone from a different provider. We know, but others wont, if they are not informed

A better deal shouldn't always mean a limited service. . .

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 16

MI5
  • 144341 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Questions can be asked, surely?
Research done online?

Currently using:
Message 9 of 16

jonsie
  • 93234 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

ItsI  more likely to be something you would expect  It's something i didn't know until the problems started arising on the community  

Message 10 of 16