cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

excessive data usage

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are accounts able to give me a breakdown of my data usage?  I have 3GB of data allowance each month (renewing the 15th of the month) and my average data usage is 470MB per month .... the most being 1.2GB in August whilst away a week on holiday.  I'm home all day so everything is done on wifi hence the low data usage.  I have today received a text message advising I have used 80% of my data allowance and I am completely at a loss as to why.  I have not used, nor been anywhere to use, any more data than I would usually in any other month.  Something tells me either o2 have made an error or my wifi at home (with Sky currently) has not been working although I've had not notifications on my phone advising me of this, and this is how my data has been used.  I really need a breakdown of data usage if possible to try and figure out where all my data has gone.  Anyone else experienced similar issues?  Many thanks

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

Settings > Wireless & Networks > Data Usage.

Screenshot_20161003-094816

See full article here https://www.howtogeek.com/140261/how-to-minimize-your-android-data-usage-and-avoid-overage-charges/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Customer services can tell you dates and times when large amounts of data were used http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
You phone also has a data counter so you can check on there.
What phone do you have?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK thanks, my phone is a LG G5 

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

Settings > Wireless & Networks > Data Usage.

Screenshot_20161003-094816

See full article here https://www.howtogeek.com/140261/how-to-minimize-your-android-data-usage-and-avoid-overage-charges/

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi yes I've just found that on my phone and it would appear that 2.4GB of data has been used by Google Photos confused.  I had an issue about 3 weeks ago where I lost all my photos and everything on my phone.  I did a factory reset and since then any photos, videos I have taken have been automatically backed up on Google Photos ...... I'm not techy so dont understand why my data has been used bearing in mind I'm home 90% off the time and I'm only out couple hours at a time at most.  I have gone through and adjusted the settings, turning off 'Background data' in all apps etcs.  Hopefully that will have sorted it going forward.  Thanks for your help thumbsup

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Check in the Google photo app settings that you have "upload on wifi only" selected too.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that, I've just checked and 'roaming' was off 

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Should be good going forward now then, but keep your eye on the usage now you know where to find it.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8