cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing contract into a different name

Anonymous
Not applicable

My Dad currently pays for my contract and it is in his name, but I am wanting to put it into my name so I can pay for it instead. I am able to do this and if so what is the best way to go around doing it?

Community_STS_0.png
Community_STS_1.png Community_STS_2.png

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
You will need to take a new contract in your name then ask your Dad to cancel his and transfer the number to you.
Only do this when the contract is up for renewal or else there will be charges to pay for early cancellation.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
You will need to take a new contract in your name then ask your Dad to cancel his and transfer the number to you.
Only do this when the contract is up for renewal or else there will be charges to pay for early cancellation.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
You would have to open your own O2 contract and then be both on the phone at the same time and ask for the number to be moved over which would close the contract your dad has.

Any fees would be discussed at that time depending in his long your dads contract has to run.
Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

However doing so, the account name still shows the same so it will always be your dads name. I have been through this whole lengthly process and it is very annoying but bottom line is whoever opened the account, new account made and number transferred there is nothing they can do to change the opening account holders name and details.

ALSO I add... you can update the banking details so the money is coming from your own account but the name of contract and everything stays the same slight_smile I was paying my own contract that was in my mothers name.

Message 4 of 11

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Cutiekitty,

You should be able to change the contract's owner entirely. Would you mind talking to CS again to see if you can? They should be able to change the origin details if you have the info they need slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Toby I have tried sooooo many times, talking to various different teams, departments etc but I never get a proper anwser! They tell me that it will always be my mothers name as the original contract with my current mobile number was taken out by her so although I done a transfer of contract to keep the number its still her details but obviously when I call etc my details apear, just my log in of this and other o2 things it shows her name.

Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

so although I done a transfer of contract 

That is the problem though.

You shouldn't have transferred the contract - just the number to your new contract.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah sorry that is what I done
Message 8 of 11

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Something went very wrong then somewhere, because if the new contract was in your name you can't change it to your Mothers...... 😞

Currently using:
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah sorry that is what I done

Take onboard what Toby has said and try O2 Customer Services again 😄

Message 10 of 11