cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow! My Bill has more than doubled

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just noticed my bill is £50 plus this month. Contract is £15.50 for 200 mins, unlimited texts with 2 bolt ons. Thought the 50MB per day re downloads etc was free. How silly of me they are now charging £1 per day!! I have never downloaded anything or accessed the internet but still they have charged me £25 extra for 25 days on the bill. Had a live chat yesterday but guy said I must have accessed the internet. I disputed this and he has sent my complaint to be investigated. How do I prove it. I have to have 02 because that the only network were  I live . If only I could change to another provider who have much better rates etc. than this.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
What phone are you using.

Most smartphones which have apps will access the Internet for updates etc which is done in the background.

Perhaps you could think about changing your tariff to include a modest data bundle.
Message 2 of 22

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Data has been chargeable for years now, but you should be able to turn it off if you don't need it.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
If the OP doesn't have a fixed data allowance, then he's on a product called Web Daily.

Web Daily is a max of 50MB per day, and a max of £1 per day. Use less than £1 worth and you don't get charged the full £1. For smartphone users its a very expensive way of doing things.

OP will have been offered a data bundle at point of sale, but guessing refused it to keep costs down.

The investigation will be a network investigation - it will show if his phone used data or not. If it did, charges are valid. If it didn't, charges aren't valid and will be refunded.
Message 4 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

stick to wifi whereever & whenever possible, saves data

Message 5 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I too have been having these downloading extras payments added to my bill although I have not knowingly visited any websites or downloaded any data or bought any apps. I just bought my nokia asha 302 phone to be able to check my emails in emergency situations and then only via a FREE wifi link. I think it is wrong and it should be made abundentLY clear how to disable ones phone from whatever it is that a enables it to just go off of its own accord and when you query it with o2 be accused of downloading stuff or being told its updating your apps when you don't have any. Smacks of money making to me ! And also, the supposed free helpline from abroad ISN'T !!!

Message 6 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144296 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Sorry, but O2 aren't responsible for the way you set up and use your phone. As you are responsible enough to have a contract you are deemed responsible enough to use it correctly. Why should O2 (or any other network) be responsible for user error?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 22

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I too have been having these downloading extras payments added to my bill although I have not knowingly visited any websites or downloaded any data or bought any apps.

You already have a thread about this here, which has answered your query, why are you just repeating it across the forum?

Your problem is down to the way you are using your phone!

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Because a) this problem is similar to mine and b) I havent had a totally satisfactory answer yet. And your problem with that is ? !!

Message 9 of 22

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions
Message 10 of 22