cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work phone buying advice

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm looking for a phone for work - i dont want iPhone though as its my personal phone and it dosnt suit my needs due to its small screen

I'm a taxi driver so the phone will spend most of its time in a Bordit cradle,

So the phone will need to be easy to navigate from it staying in the cradle, my first thoughts points towards the Lumia range as you can resize the tiles so that they can be a comftable size to use and press, over android

But ill also need to use; POP email, Facebook, a good maps application, some type of accurate satnav app, DropBox or simular, Daily Mail app,

Ill also need it to simple to end and recieve calls and have some type of voice commands like Siri

Any advice people?

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146975 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions
A high end windows phone will be ideal for your needs. All the apps you require are available, in fact there are hundreds more every day and Nokia Maps are one of the best available.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Most of todays smartphones offer what your asking for.

I would suggest you visiting your local high-street shops that have working demo models for you to play with and go from there.

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just be aware that windows phones don't have that many apps at the moment compared to android but as bob says it will be best to go and have a look
Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 146975 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions
A high end windows phone will be ideal for your needs. All the apps you require are available, in fact there are hundreds more every day and Nokia Maps are one of the best available.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 10

jonsie
  • 93274 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

My choice of present phones would be the Note3 but as said, most modern android phones would suit your needs. The only way really is to get yourself down to the phone or independent stores and get the feel of them.

Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Personally I would head towards the Note 3 as the bigger screen will be more user friendly in the taxi.

Most top end smartphones will have the apps you need.
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would also recommend the note 3 due to the screen size for viewing sat nav
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to buck the trend (as usual) and suggest the BlackBerry Z10 or Z30 as an ideal device.

Unfortunately neither are available from O2 directly but can be purchased via Carphone Warehouse.

The Z30 in particular would be perfect thanks to its large screen size. I use a Brodit Proclip with cig plug for my Z10 and its a great companion tool when in the car.

There are a number of great free maps and sat nav apps, Dropbox is built into the BB10 operating system, and a little known feature of BB10 is the voice control. I'm not sure if there is a Daily Mail app for BB10 but the beauty of having the fastest mobile browser on the Z30 or Z10 is that you can just go to actual website!

Just throwing out another option for you slight_smile 

Message 8 of 10

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I'm a little biased here having just had a Moto X on trial but the Moto X does tick a lot of the boxes. Has quite a large screen but not a big body. My review is on the front page of the Community!

Also, you might want to look at the recent Sony Xperia Z series. They have the "car" mode which is very nice to use with the big buttons in a similar way to the Tiles feature of WinPho. 

Message 9 of 10

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

The Note series are certainly good for SatNav though I would suggest getting an offline App or you will incur data charges and lose the map in 'dead spots'. I've use Copilot on the Note 2 (also in a Brodit Mount)and iPhone and previously on my HD2 and versions of TomTom on earlier Windows Mobile devices, and the Google, Apple, Blackberry and Nokia in-built navigation apps. They all suffer from not knowing the shortcuts you need as a cab driver to avoid traffic. (I'm in field service so use similar routes), but I find Copilot fairly good for places I'm not familiar with.

The Lumia phones come with Nokia Maps which can be downloaded to the phone but I've not had enough experience of them to pass comment.

As for the rest of you requirements almost all smartphones would fit the bill.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 10 of 10