cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With O2 already, but want to buy an O2 phone contract outside of upgrade, can I keep number

Welshyyyyy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
That heading may not have made sense.. So the question is my girlfriend has an O2 contract and is due an upgrade... But on the official O2 site the option to get a Samsung Galaxy S9 is quite expensive, and just by googling have found a site that does the phone for a good price on O2 network. If she went for this option could she keep her existing number? Or can you not do this going from O2 to O2? Hope that makes sense..
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes she can.
She will need to get new contract then call customer service on 202 to migrate her number to the new account.
This will end the old one at the same time too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

You should be able to go to the cheaper provider no problem, I have done that a number of times. You won't get a Refresh contract though - those only come from O2 direct (online at O2.co.uk or via an O2 shop) . Good luck, @Welshyyyyy

Message 2 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes she can.
She will need to get new contract then call customer service on 202 to migrate her number to the new account.
This will end the old one at the same time too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
If she wants to go through a 3rd party then she would have to get o2 to migrate her number to the new contract otherwise you will have 2 contracts running. This will effectively close & generate a final bill for the old contract
Message 4 of 10

Welshyyyyy
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for the replies everyone 👍😁
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Welshyyyyy You are very welcome 

Message 6 of 10

David_D
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This is the exact question I was about to be asked, but has been answered already. thumbsup

But I have a further question...... Can this be done in advance of my contract ending, still got about 6 weeks remaining, and then migrate my number to the new account later when that contract is up?

TIA, Dave.

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes @David_D that's no problem at all.
Enjoy your new phone slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

David_D
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Brilliant, thanks.
Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No worries mate....

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10