Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is 'at fault'

amici-pat
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 60 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I was recently away from home for a few days, during which time my mobile bill was due.   Having recently changed banks I had not had time to set up Direct Debit payments.    On the date my payment was due, I logged into my O2 Accounts and made the required payments which were accepted and 'verified by Visa'.

However, I started receiving messages on my 'phones that I had not paid my bills, and, eventually they cut off my services.    Each time I tried to make a call I was just diverted to an automated payment service so could not speak to anyone at O2 to find out what had happened.

During my trip I had no access to the internet so was feeling very cut off.  

Upon my return home I had received 2 e-mails from O2 stating that my payments were not taken as something had 'gone wrong' at my bank and I was told to use an alternative method to pay, and get service restored.

I had managed to make a payment on one of the phones, duplicating my payment, as I assumed.

I visited my bank today, and they investigated there and then as there was nothing on the system as to why the payments were not made, but, after a further telephone call, it was found that the reason the payments were not further authorised because the security code numbers had been incorrectly input by O2 when finally trying to take the payment.    They suggested that O2 telephone the bank for confirmation that they were at fault and not me.

Now, I am a pensioner on State Benefits and cannot now pay my other bill until next Monday (pay day).   Assuming my payment had been taken from my bank account, I used the money as shown available in my account whist away from home.

So, I have suffered a curtailment of my services due to no fault of my own?   O2 chat are telling me the only way to get my service back on is to pay the bill.   So, who has broken their Contract me or o2?   I will also have a late/missed payment registered on my Credit File!

Message 1 of 114
113 REPLIES 113

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Cleoriff

The way the OP talks it sounds like an Internet / online payment. I will be happily corrected if that is not the case hence my last line in the post.

Either way that would answer the first bit but not the second about how long it takes o2 to disconnect the line completely. rosadosc has said elsewhere it is usually 2 months unless fraud is suspected.

All I am saying is that the posts raise questions and all may not be as it seems.

Further though I do agree with @Anonymous that this should really have been sorted out much sooner.
Message 81 of 114

Anonymous
Not applicable
As for Verified By Visa versus a request for the 3 digit security code on the back of the card, these are so very very different and the OP sounds like they know their stuff so I can't see how the two could be confused.

Sorry, just my view.
Message 82 of 114

Anonymous
Not applicable
Update: the OP states the back told them it was Verified By Visa therefore it must have been an online payment not over the phone. So the OP must have put the information in incorrectly.
Message 83 of 114

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Well ....its a forum Nick and we all have our own viewpoint. I too am reasonably intelligent and have been asked for "verified by visa code" over the phone by at least one shop assistant....:smileywink:

However, I am straying off topic now so will Zipped

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 84 of 114

Anonymous
Not applicable
I sincerely hope you are right and I am wrong and if I am I would be the first to say so. But I think the OP needs to check some of the points mentioned.
Message 85 of 114

Anonymous
Not applicable

That was what I was finding confusing... because it's all done with no human interaction, so I didn't get the bank saying that the O2 staff must have put the information in wrong...hey??

I think something did go wrong...but it was the bank that messed up.If she got a payment reference it means the bank approved the payment, so I think they just made up an excuse to get rid of the customer. 

Still the rest of the situation even with no payment, if the OP has a good payment history, and she mentioned she pays by DD we could, as a GWG holded the account until the next bill...that's what I would do. 

Message 86 of 114

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous if the OP has a good payment record (and I have no reason to doubt this) then why would the mobile have been totally disconnected so quickly? The disconnection would have generated the large bill to end the contract, I get that, but unless o2 have naffed up big time then it may imply there may have been ongoing payment issues?
Message 87 of 114

Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps @amici-pat could review today's posts and update / confirm / correct as appropriate?

P.s. Tesco here shuts at 10 so if I need to buy some humble pie. .....
Message 88 of 114

Anonymous
Not applicable

The feeling I get is that Web chat just removed the bars and didn't place the account into dispute to hold further bars until a payment is made. When that happens the system looks at it like a failed promise to pay,speeding the complete barring and disconnection process. My guess is that she is completely disconnected. That would have issued the disconnection notice asking for the full contract to be paid 

Message 89 of 114

Anonymous
Not applicable
How would that explain the payment issue though @rosadosc? If the OP did indeed try to pay online and for whatever reason it hasn't gone through I don't see the Live Chat connection.

However if Live Chat has screwed her over then the compensation offer had better be good.
Message 90 of 114