cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does 02 get the RPI price increase from?

Anonymous
Not applicable
The O2 terms and conditions say that they can increase tariffs by the RPI announced each February. The RPI announced by the ONS on 13th Feb 2018 was 2.7%, so why is the tariff increase set at 4%? This is far above the official RPI.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Cleoriff
  • 122822 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymouswrote:

OK I think my confusion came from the fact that there are different inflation rates published on the same date - turns out I was looking at the Consumer Price Index of 2.7% whereas the Retail Price Index is indeed 4.0%.  Where would we be without Google? 🙂

Absolutely nowhere @Anonymous LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Many would argue that cpi is a more accurate figure although not as much dosh for the networks.
Someone will have to realise one day, that wages and pensions aren't rising at the same rate as ALL bills are and people will be cutting back on non-essentials.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 13

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Which is why, I imagine, @MI5 the networks use the RPI and not the CPI which is not only more accurate but the index the government uses when increasing pensions, for example, and many companies use when increasing wages. So you're quite right wages and pensions don't increase at the same rate as all other bills. I think lots of people already realise this but it's the 'powers that be' who choose to ignore this fact and do nothing to make a more level playing field.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 13 of 13