cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did it get so hard to get a new O2 contract and a specific phone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried to get a Samsung Galaxy S4 Active today. Phones4u had them, but for some reason now only do O2 upgradees and not new contracts. I was planning to run my 2 contract in parrallel for the last 3 months, rather than wait for my upgrade date (Christmas Eve)

O2 Store was next to useless. Didn't have the phone and the ever so useful sales assistant hadn't even heard of it (really?).

It's a pretty ridiculous situation when it's almost impossible to get a new contract with a specific new release phone. Any idea why O2 has suddenly withdrawn now contracts from the independent stores?

O2 should be glad I am comoletely limited to them by the lack of signal for any other network around my house, or I'd be gone already.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd never heard of Speed to Refresh now. Looking at the terms, I don't think I am eligble as one of them states:

1. you're an existing consumer Pay Monthly customer on a handset tariff (excluding O2 Lease tariffs) who signed up in an O2 Shop, through O2 telesales or through o2.co.uk more than three months ago

My last contract was via Dialaphone, so pretty sure that counts me out.

I just find the whole thing bizzare though. Looking at CPW's website, I can get the S4 on O2 but not the S4 Active, so at least I can try that route.

Having said all that, I just texted upgrade to 21602 and I can do it for £80.48. Might wait until after my next bill and do that. My iPhone 4 should cover that as a trade-in.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I too cant fathom why an employee in that field would not know anything about a Samsung s4 !

That's the first I've heard about Phones 4 u not doing new contracts.

Their web page seems to support your comment. Not on new contract but available on upgrades !........... that's interesting.

Did you try CPW ?

Have you thought about 02 speed to refresh option ?

Also could the o2 shop not get the handset in for you.

Message 2 of 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

O2 should be glad I am comoletely limited to them by the lack of signal for any other network around my house, or I'd be gone already.

I expect they will be over the moon! Smiley LOL

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd never heard of Speed to Refresh now. Looking at the terms, I don't think I am eligble as one of them states:

1. you're an existing consumer Pay Monthly customer on a handset tariff (excluding O2 Lease tariffs) who signed up in an O2 Shop, through O2 telesales or through o2.co.uk more than three months ago

My last contract was via Dialaphone, so pretty sure that counts me out.

I just find the whole thing bizzare though. Looking at CPW's website, I can get the S4 on O2 but not the S4 Active, so at least I can try that route.

Having said all that, I just texted upgrade to 21602 and I can do it for £80.48. Might wait until after my next bill and do that. My iPhone 4 should cover that as a trade-in.

Message 4 of 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You have edited your post and now look to be ok.

Let us know how you get on.

Unlock you old phone first to get the best price.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Possibly look at http://www.o2.co.uk/mobile/refresh

Hope you eventually get what your after.

Good luck.

Edit : from your added info it now looks good for you. Awesome.
Message 6 of 8

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I too cant fathom why an employee in that field would not know anything about a Samsung s4 !

The s4 active is not a stock s4 and o2 do not stock them that is why the shop did not know of it.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamtemp64 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The s4 active is not a stock s4 and o2 do not stock them that is why the shop did not know of it.

Okay I understand that but on the flip side if I was employed in that sector I would ensure that I was in the know on as much as possible.

If I as a consumer walked into any shop and the employee's product knowledge was found wanting, then it wouldnt install too much confidence to proceed.

I take your point though Adam.

Message 8 of 8