cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to my 'old' phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi There

I have 'sped to refresh' upgrading from an iPhone 4s to an LG G2 which is due to arrive tommorow and my question is this - what happens to my 4s ? I don't mean do I sell it etc rather what happens to the service on it ? Will it be cut off and my number essentially transfer over to my new phone (it looks like 02 are automatically transferring my number over to the new phone) , or if someone rings my number will both phones ring ? Also I am planning on selling the phone back to o2 via recycle, do I need to delete all my info, photos etc and remove the old soundcard before posting back , lg will be on 4g and have its own soundcard . Thanks in advance for your help 

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

when the new phone arrives with its new sim follow the swap my sim instructions that moves the account to the new sim (assuming it is a different size sim if the same just put old sim in new phone). Edit it is the same size sim so you could just swap it but as it is a 4g phone use the swapmysim process to get it all working with the new 4g micro sim that should arrive with the phone.

The iphone is the your to do with what you want but yes always wipe it before selling / recycling and the old sim is useless.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I meant sim card not soundcard, my kindle auto-corrected that for me

Message 2 of 9

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

when the new phone arrives with its new sim follow the swap my sim instructions that moves the account to the new sim (assuming it is a different size sim if the same just put old sim in new phone). Edit it is the same size sim so you could just swap it but as it is a 4g phone use the swapmysim process to get it all working with the new 4g micro sim that should arrive with the phone.

The iphone is the your to do with what you want but yes always wipe it before selling / recycling and the old sim is useless.

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
LOL, gotta love some of those auto corrects slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd suggest getting it unlocked via 02 as this will increase its street value and or usefulness if you come to sell it or use it as a back up.

Unlocking form ; https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

Edit as link broke and added some info about cex.

O2 recycle for my iPhone 5 was £200. I got £250 from cex but this depends on the aesthetics etc of the handset.
Message 5 of 9

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

if bobs link is not working try this one

Handset unlocking form

But no need if you do use o2 recycle

Apple Watch series 4

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers for the help everyone - with regards to this 'swapmysim process' , is there a description of said process on t'internet anywhere or will it be included with the new phone ? Ps speaking of funny auto corrects my kindle just tried changing 'swapmysim' to 'despotism' which I thought ironically appropriate considering I'm getting rid of an Apple product !!

Message 7 of 9

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

And should be in the new sim packet

Apple Watch series 4

Message 8 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
LOL, this link should help with sim swap http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 9