cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used all my data this month!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since I came back to O2 from Vodafone, and started using an iPhone 5S,  I have regularly only used about 50 to 60% of my data allowance of 2gb every month....

This month I had used it all way too early and then today the 500mb bolt-on had been eaten up. My browsing habits haven't changed significantly and so I am concerned that I have gone from 1.5gb to 2.5gb consumption.

At home the phone is on BT wifi.

Is there a way I can see where it has gone?  A spike in usage like this causes alarm bells to start ringing.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Search the high usage threads in the Apple section for tips.
Usage can be tracked in the phones settings if you are on iOS7 or above.
This is thought to be a bug in Apples software as it affects many people worldwide and on different networks.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
One such recent thread here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Unexplained-large-data-use/m-p/757257#U75... but do use the search function as there are many, many more....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  This is the first month that has included usage since upgrading to iOS8

Message 4 of 12

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Went to that link and it gradually went off topic....

I have done the Setting/Mobile/Apps check and looking at what they for data usage against each app it looks impossible to add up to 2.5gb.

Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Have you checked what exactly is using the data in the phone settings?

According to the iPhone the highlights are 57mb for Flickr, 22.6mb for Google+ and email (yahoo and gmail apps) come to less than 30mb... Safari 19.8mb....

Hardly scratching the surface of 2.5gb...

Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
That's similar to what other people are saying, that the phone doesn't record anything like what the network thinks has been used.
I can only suggest you call CS and report it - They may give you some extra data but this doesn't stop it from happening again unfortunately.
BTW, the issue has been around since iOS6 but only seems to effect people at random......

Currently using:
Message 8 of 12

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Something badly amiss there. I would phone customer service and ask them to investigate. It certainly sounds like the age old problem that affects some iphone users but not all. When Apple release the next update maybe you will see a difference but as it stands the data usage makes no sense.

Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
That's similar to what other people are saying, that the phone doesn't record anything like what the network thinks has been used.
I can only suggest you call CS and report it - They may give you some extra data but this doesn't stop it from happening again unfortunately.
BTW, the issue has been around since iOS6 but only seems to effect people at random......

I had it one month out of three years on Voda.  Can't recall if that was after an iOS upgrade or not.

I have turned a load of apps off and have reset the Statistics and despite no data being available until tomorrow when my next month starts, some apps are showing that they have used data and system services has used 10kb.  How?

Message 10 of 12