Did you mean: 

Upgraded (actually a downgrade) and told a soft credit check is now used

ChattyKitty09
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi everyone

I have been with o2 for around 10 years, had top range phones and iPads.

I was on a switch up type contract with an iPhone 14  pro max, I realised I wasn’t using the data and not much use of roaming to the USA etc.

So decided will pay off the device and also go for a pay monthly sim only deal.

Got offered a decent deal, no USA roaming etc but I only visit once a year anyway.

So happy with the deal, he I was then told, you will have to have a credit check?

I did question him and said for a cheap sim only, was paying 3 times more on present package.

I did ask him 3 times this is a soft check?  He said yes - hope he’s correct or to be honest I would not have had the new pay monthly sim package.  Just paid up and looked elsewhere.

I got the iPhone plus max only last March with no credit check!

I was asked occupation, income bracket, did I expect any change to my circumstances and confirm my address.

Is it to do with their merger with Virgin I wonder.

Anyone else had a new credit check for an upgrade?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 148716 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@ChattyKitty09 

Yes, applies to absolutely everyone now.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 148716 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@ChattyKitty09 

Yes, applies to absolutely everyone now.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 7

ChattyKitty09
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

M15 - Thanks so much for getting back so fast, have you any information that it is a soft check as promised? I preferred it going off an Internal type check on payment history, oh well…. 

Message 3 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11264 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3153 Solutions

@ChattyKitty09 My wifes switchup was a soft credit check, unfortunately the rules around lending where tightened up so all lenders have to do this now, and your device plans always show as a loan on your credit file.. 

This is all to do with a thing called KYC (know your customer) and includes affordability checks as well. 

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 148716 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@ChattyKitty09 wrote:

M15 - Thanks so much for getting back so fast, have you any information that it is a soft check as promised? I preferred it going off an Internal type check on payment history, oh well…. 

@ChattyKitty09 

Nothing showing on my credit file from my last upgrade so there's nothing to worry about.

Message 5 of 7

ChattyKitty09
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for that information, yes he mentioned affordability.

Message 6 of 7

ChattyKitty09
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Oh that’s good, I have a free credit report so will have a look soon.

Message 7 of 7