cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Internet - NOT UNLIMITED

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been with O2 for seven years now, never had any problems until now.

On my SIM ONLY deal I have an unlimited internet bolt on of which I've used on Sony Ericsson Zylo's (of which I've had five of in the last two years - excellent handset!). I recently purchased a sim free Sony Miro because its had great reviews.

A few weeks later, I get two texts from O2:

"You're using a lot of data this month, which may start to worsen the experience for our other customers. If you continue to use a high amount of data this month, we may have to slow down or stop your data data allowance until your next bill day. If we do this we'll text you. To avoid this, we recommend you use Wi-Fi"

The next day I called customer services to complain.

Two hours later... I was sent ANOTHER text from O2.

"You've used an extremely high amount of data this month, which has started to effect the experience of our customers trying to use data. To be fair to all our customers, we've been forced to slow down your data speed until your next bill day. To experience a faster data speed, we recommending (yeah, note the terrible english!) using Wi-Fi until then."

Having been in the mobile phone industry for 22 years, I am well aware of the "T & C's" and that there is a 'fair use policy' but why state unlimited internet when it's not?

I have an account with Virgin Mobile and Three, and they truly mean UNLIMITED internet.

On my O2 account - which is my main business line, I use the internet for Facebook and emails.... NOTHING MORE! But I'm told I've used 4.1GB!! Madness!! I don't stream YouTube videos, I do that at home via Wi-Fi or on my laptop.

Because I have discounted deal, O2 are trying to make things difficult for me. And how the hell can I be a threat to other customers internet use? I'm just one person against 25 million plus!!! I will be monitoring the situation as I've already turned off the internet on my Sony and it will stay off until my bill date in December.

If I get another silly text, or get told I used a massive amount of data then I will expect an apology and my full services back to normal - without fuss.

Or my complaint will go to OFCOM.

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Most, if not all suppliers with have a limit somewhere in there terms, I don't know of anything truely unlimited. Everything has an underlying cost somewhere so at some point an unlimited offer will have a break point where it becomes a loss making product, this will be factored in when designing the offer with the hope that most people will never reach that point and take a hit on the people that do. But theer has to be a point where companies say no, otherwise people could really go to town on whatever unlimited goods / service they're using.

For example - I'm sure if there'd be a cut off point to an "unlimited re-fils" on drinks offer at your local italian bread based food shed. At some point they'd have to ask you to leave. Sounds like a challenge to me, I know where I'm having lunch tomorrow slight_smile

Edit: Posted before I could finish... Check what the apps on yoru phoen are doing, some auto update / Upload / dowload. Apps like Drop box can eat through yoru data in no time. Take 4Gb of pictures = Auto upload 4 GB of pictures. Switch of any auto updates / downlaods / uploads or to set to Only on Wifi.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have an nanny data hungry apps that are continually running & updating all the time

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Most, if not all suppliers with have a limit somewhere in there terms, I don't know of anything truely unlimited. Everything has an underlying cost somewhere so at some point an unlimited offer will have a break point where it becomes a loss making product, this will be factored in when designing the offer with the hope that most people will never reach that point and take a hit on the people that do. But theer has to be a point where companies say no, otherwise people could really go to town on whatever unlimited goods / service they're using.

For example - I'm sure if there'd be a cut off point to an "unlimited re-fils" on drinks offer at your local italian bread based food shed. At some point they'd have to ask you to leave. Sounds like a challenge to me, I know where I'm having lunch tomorrow slight_smile

Edit: Posted before I could finish... Check what the apps on yoru phoen are doing, some auto update / Upload / dowload. Apps like Drop box can eat through yoru data in no time. Take 4Gb of pictures = Auto upload 4 GB of pictures. Switch of any auto updates / downlaods / uploads or to set to Only on Wifi.

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Basically turn off mobile data & use wifi where possible

Message 4 of 9

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
To be fair I've eaten 140mb in 3 days worth of email and that's only work related stuff. Imagine if you get a bit of spam or advertising it will be much higher due to the graphics involved.

Now imagine two or more accounts and a Facebook constantly pushing for notifications. 4.1gb isn't hard to imagine.

As others have said connect to wifi wherever possible.

Mms requires data.

Also download a data manager to check if your tallies line up with theirs.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 5 of 9

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Having been in the mobile phone industry for 22 years, I am well aware of the "T & C's" and that there is a 'fair use policy' but why state unlimited internet when it's not?.

On my O2 account - which is my main business line, I use the internet for Facebook and emails.... NOTHING MORE! But I'm told I've used 4.1GB!! Madness!! I don't stream YouTube videos, I do that at home via Wi-Fi or on my laptop.

Because I have discounted deal, O2 are trying to make things difficult for me.

Highly unlikely you have been singled out.

4.1Gb in a month on a mobile with the type of usage you have described is virtually impossible, there is either something very odd going on with your phone or it's just plain wrong.

I would make a formal complaint as the first step:

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mobile%29,CASE=13668

O2 use the word "unlimited" with the approval of the regulators unfortunately.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
No. I do not.
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Get yourself a data counter, there's a number of free ones which should show you a breakdown of where the data is going. I'm not sure what Operating System the Sony is using so couldn't really recommend one so just try a few out.

JM

Message 8 of 9

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Some great advice here guys, well done slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 9 of 9