Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to text one specific number

Kadaj22
Level 1: Joiner
  • 16 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So, my friend who was with o2 recently got a new pixel 5 on iD mobile and ported his number from o2. I texted him on his o2 number as the port was processing and he received it but he wasn't able to receive any calls. The next day I tried to text him several times and none of them were being sent to him. I was able to call him but just not text, although, other people were able to text him.

It's been over a week now since the port and he's still not able to receive my texts. I can receive texts from him, though. Just to clarify; I can make and receive calls, I can text and receive texts from all my contacts other than this one particular person. They can make and receive calls and texts including to me. Why is it that I am unable to text him and only him? But he can he text me? It's just so weird!

He has been through this with iD mobile, got a new sim card, etc. I have tried resetting my device, taking the sim card out and other supposed fixes but nothing has worked. 

I called o2 customer services today and was escalated to another person who wasn't very helpful and ended up hanging up the phone on me. They said twice that it's to do with iD mobile despite me trying to explain that we've been through this with them for over a week now and they suggested for me to contact o2. It just seems like they're both passing on the problem to each other and no one knows how to fix this. And I must admit I have never heard of anything like this before.

Some fixes that were suggested by iD and other people were that it was something to do with my phone but I have taken out the sim and used it on another device and it still won't send the text. Also, they suggested that my friend had somehow blocked me and we looked into that, there are no blocked numbers on his phone or account, and have since disabled all spam filters etc. Still, it doesn't work.

The only thing I can think of at this point is that it might be something to do with while porting the number over to iD I had texted him and somehow that has blocked me from being able to text him.

I'm hesitant to call o2 customer support again considering how rude the person was to me, her refusal to listen to the full story, and just pass the blame to iD. We're currently talking with iD again after we have already tried using a different sim, factory reset, and a bunch of other things. I'm really at my wits end with this and the fact that no one has any idea how this could have happened or how to fix it.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Kadaj22 wrote:

Hello, @MI5 

My friend has just downloaded Pulse, I texted him and he hasn't received anything. We have been using WhatsApp and that works. 

It's definitely an account issue then @Kadaj22 

I'd guess that the text you sent during the porting process has screwed something up and it may need ID mobile to disconnect your friend from the network to reset the account.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Ask your friend to open the messaging app and then the app settings.

See if your number is in the blocked/spam list

Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Kadaj22 

Ask your friend to download a different message app and set it as default to see if your text comes through then.

A factory reset, as has been done, should have cleared any blocked numbers but a different message app will prove the cause one way or another.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 7

Kadaj22
  • 16 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, @MI5 

My friend has just downloaded Pulse, I texted him and he hasn't received anything. We have been using WhatsApp and that works. 

Also, @jonsie we had already checked for blocked numbers on both our devices and there is nothing on there. 

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Kadaj22 wrote:

Hello, @MI5 

It's definitely an account issue then @Kadaj22 

I'd guess that the text you sent during the porting process has screwed something up and it may need ID mobile to disconnect your friend from the network to reset the account.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

Kadaj22
  • 16 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I thought the same thing as well just wasn't sure who would be responsible for doing that (I was hoping o2 as their customer service is usually really good, iD phone line is closed due to covid... will have to go through their live chat again...). I will contact them tomorrow and explain what we think might have caused it and hopefully, that will fix it. 

Thank you. slight_smile

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

I very much doubt it's O2 and not much they could do now with not having control of the account @Kadaj22 

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7