Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Abroad

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi All...in a couple of weeks I shall be going abroad for a few days. It will be the first time i have taken my new contract phone. (in the past as a PAYG customer it was simply a case of turning my phone on when landing and it found the appropriate network for me) With a contract phone do I have to let O2 know I am travelling abroad? Also is there anything else I should be aware of? (I wont be using the phone for internet or emails etc. It will be used purely for calling texting and sending pictures) Thanks for your help

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can download an app called TuGo (don't know if you've seen us talk about it on here before?) but it basically uses a WiFi connection to make calls and texts.

So - you can use this in your apartment to make calls and texts from your UK allowances without being charged. When you step out of a WiFi area it will then just charge you the normal Spanish rates.

This will be a 50p connection charge to make or receive calls. (You can only make calls up to 60mins so if you are going to go over, hang up and call again).

It will also be 8.5p per SMS you send.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Well first thing is to make you aware of the charges. These are all available at o2.co.uk/international - just pick Pay Monthly and the country.

You might want to call O2 just to make sure there are no international bars on your account - but there shouldn't be anyway.

To turn the internet off on your phone (to make sure you don't get charged for using it) is go to Settings > More Settings > Mobile Networks and untick the box that says Data Roaming and Mobile Data too.

You may also want to turn your Voicemail off as, depending where you go, you can get charged for this. To turn it off you can call 1760 from the phone. To turn it back on it is 1750.

Also - will you have access to WiFi where you go?

Message 2 of 20

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

have a look here for cost info etc http://www.o2.co.uk/support/internationalandtravel

Where are you going and what phone do you have some suggestions of what to do and turn off to help reduce costs can then be given

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi..Its a Samsung S3. I am going to Malaga in Spain. I go about 7 times a year and this is one of the reasons I changed to Contract (my PAYG top ups were pretty hefty during my time in Spain!!). The reason I wont be using internet is that I have use of a laptop in the apartment and I am happy with that) I do have the Travel bolt on in my tariff.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 20

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

if you want to send picture mms messages you will need data on and this can lead to problems with other things using the data connection.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can download an app called TuGo (don't know if you've seen us talk about it on here before?) but it basically uses a WiFi connection to make calls and texts.

So - you can use this in your apartment to make calls and texts from your UK allowances without being charged. When you step out of a WiFi area it will then just charge you the normal Spanish rates.

This will be a 50p connection charge to make or receive calls. (You can only make calls up to 60mins so if you are going to go over, hang up and call again).

It will also be 8.5p per SMS you send.

Message 6 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes have read about TuGo, but wasnt that bothered about it (my apartment block doesn't have WiFi, I access my laptop with a dongle) Re picture messaging? if I turn off those settings as you suggest, will I be able to send pics via text as I did with my old Motorola PAYG. I dont send that many pictures (just occasional views of the SUN rising...to wind up family and friends here in UK!) PS my tariff is Unlimited.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 20

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If you are using wifi in the apartment/hotel you might want to consider downloading Whatsapp to send your picture messages from the phone. As long as your friends have the app as well, sending pictures to them will be free over wifi.

Also TuGo could help if you need to make calls over wifi which will just use your allowance.

Message 8 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks all...however most of my calls and texts will be made from my apartment, and the complex is old and does not have WiFi. Any pictures I take are usually from my balcony...sea views (and gloating ones of the sun!)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, picture messages will charge and need the internet on the phone turned on.

You can always link the phone up to your dongle and use the app mentioned above, Whatsapp, to send them back to your friends in the UK.

Message 10 of 20