cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer number while abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm currently abroad and my pay monthly contract is due to finish. I decided before I left the UK that I would wait until the end date, then cancel, but transfer my number to pay as you go so I can still use it when I'm back in the UK.

Both in the O2 store and during conversations with customer service, I was told this would be easy to do while abroad.

A few weeks ago I checked this again, and was reassured this would all be easy to sort through a quick phone call or live chat. I've had a pay as you go sim sent out to me since and now my renewal date has come around, I'm all set...

Now that I've come to actually trying to do this, however, a customer service rep has said I in fact can't transfer my number while abroad. They also could not clarify why this was.

Also unlike other precious conversations, they couldn't clarify what would be left to pay on my bill once I cancel. They even started to talk about an early cancellation fee, that was apparently mandatory to mention to me but that I might not have to pay. Again, quite vague and inconsistent.

Any help, anyone, please?!
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

So first things first, the number transfer. Unfortunately it cannot be done whilst ur number is abroad. Why? without going all technical, it will fail because to finish the transfer successfully the number needs to register on the O2 network in the Uk or it will fail.So the only way to do this would be to get someone in the Uk to have the pay and go sim,wait for the transfer to go ahead and then post it out to you.Make sure the number is Topped Up before it leaves the Uk. As for terminations fees it depends how long you have left on your contract on the day of the transfer, but if it's just a few days,chances are you wont have to pay anything because you paid a line rental up front in the beginning of your contract and that gets credited back when you cancel. That is probably what they meant on the phone.

Hope this Helps slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have got exactly the same problem right now.

I have spoken to so many O2 agents on chat, basically they told me I can get a sim delivered to my UK home address and someone else can put it into their phone and change it from contract to PAYG and keep the number.

But for me this could take some time and as my contract is rolling monthly until I cancel(two years up in December) effectively I'm going to pay another months bill (about 40GBP) just to keep the same number.

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also, I'm not talking to all these agents because I want to, as you said the information they give is totally inconsistent.
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
What is frustrating is that I specificially asked about this on more than one occasion, both in the UK and since being abroad, always with the same reassurance that it could be done. I've already had the sim sent out to me at some expense, to make sure I had it ready for my contract end date.

Surely there's a way that they can preload a sim in the UK before sending it out?

The only suggestion that I was given so far was to downgrade to sim only, as that's the lowest pay monthly tarrif, which I found very unhelpful. I say I want to cancel my pay monthly, as I won't be using it for a while; they suggest an option that means I keep paying for something I won't be using!
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
The agent I chatted to yesterday also asked for the new pay as you go phone number. This isn't anywhere on the packaging, but the ssn number is and this is the number they need. When I gave the agent the ssn, they clearly didn't know what this was, first responding that it didn't seem to be a UK phone number, then just went back to saying they couldn't help, again with no explanation.
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

To get the payg number the easiest way would be to put it in your current phone that accepts O2 SIM cards and look in your contacts lists or somewhere in the settings where it may display something like 'My Number'

Or Top it up and call another mobile and the number will display. Ways to top up are -> http://www.o2.co.uk/topup or ask someone in the uk to purchase a top up voucher and email you the top up number and dial 4444 to add it.

Minimum is £10.00.
Message 6 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'm not sure if you guys are calling in or using live chat but you should be calling. Free number to call from abroad is in contact us at bottom of page.
What you want is easy to do so keep trying until you get an agent that can help you.
Inconsistency is an issue with some agents unfortunately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

So first things first, the number transfer. Unfortunately it cannot be done whilst ur number is abroad. Why? without going all technical, it will fail because to finish the transfer successfully the number needs to register on the O2 network in the Uk or it will fail.So the only way to do this would be to get someone in the Uk to have the pay and go sim,wait for the transfer to go ahead and then post it out to you.Make sure the number is Topped Up before it leaves the Uk. As for terminations fees it depends how long you have left on your contract on the day of the transfer, but if it's just a few days,chances are you wont have to pay anything because you paid a line rental up front in the beginning of your contract and that gets credited back when you cancel. That is probably what they meant on the phone.

Hope this Helps slight_smile

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the clarification. It's still frustrating that they can't somehow sort this, but at least I know why!

202 does work and has been free to try (so far!) The problem is that on the couple of occasions I've tried, I've waited over 20 mins, which is not always ideal, especially considering I'm 13 hours ahead of GMT.

Either way, I got onto live chat last night and finally chatted to people able to help. They clarified my cancellation options, outlined exactly what would be left to pay then set up for another new sim to be sent out, which will automatically transfer on my cancellation day (although I may need to leave it in the UK until then for someone to put it in their phone) Far more willing and able to help than the one person I dealt with the day before!

So hburdett, it turns out we don't have to stay on our contract to sort this and keep throwing money at it!
Message 9 of 9