Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching my number to a new contract

xiras
Level 1: Joiner
  • 14 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've been looking at pre-ordering the S4 but, I've already got a contract.

I can upgrade on April 30th and that would be fine if I hadn't broken my phone.

The situation gets worse because I'm going away for 3 weeks on the 29th but will NEED a phone.

So, my question is, if I pre-order the S4 and cancel my current contract will I be able to transfer my current number to my new contract?

Also, if I cancel my contract (which ends on 29th May) when my S4 arrives, would it just be my 2 monthly payments left or would I still have to pay a cancelation fee too?

Resist and multiply
Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rawrz
Level 13: Prompter
  • 70 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 25 Solutions
personaly id call upgrades and see whst they can do if your upgade is 30th april and s4 gets released on 26th 4 days isnt much id call on tge off chance n see what they can do. ovb no garuntees but worth a shot

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143190 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions
There is no cancellation fee - just pay up to the end of the contract. You'll have to time the introduction of the S4 to your cancellation of current contract in order to transfer your number but it is possible. It will need CS to help though as trying to do it online might prove challenging.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 17

xiras
  • 14 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the quick reply slight_smile

So, what you're saying is, to transfer my number to my new contract I'd have to get the S4 at the end of my current contract?

If that's the case I'd probably be better borrowing an old phone from someone for my trip and just upgrading to the S4 on my current contract.

This isn’t ideal for me since I'm not sure if I'd get the same deal as I would pre-ordering it.

When I upgraded from iPhone 3g to 4 I found out a few days later that I got a much worse deal than my friends that pre-ordered.

I really like being on O2, I just don't want them to screw me over on an upgrade again.

Resist and multiply
Message 3 of 17

MI5
  • 143190 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions

No, I meant cancel current and take new contract on the same day, otherwise you have nowhere to hold your number unless you switch it to a PAYG SIM and then transfer it back a again to your contract.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 17

rawrz
  • 70 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 25 Solutions
personaly id call upgrades and see whst they can do if your upgade is 30th april and s4 gets released on 26th 4 days isnt much id call on tge off chance n see what they can do. ovb no garuntees but worth a shot
Message 5 of 17

xiras
  • 14 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

I'll try giving O2 a call tomorrow to see if they can help me out at all.

It would be awesome to get it before I go away, my last 2 phones were iPhones and they're now ball-numbingly boring.
I had an android for a while and it was actually exciting compared to iOS.
Resist and multiply
Message 6 of 17

rawrz
  • 70 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 25 Solutions
let us know how you get on slight_smile

i've never had an iphone gone from s1 , s2 and now the s3 slight_smile im sure you will enjoy the s4
Message 7 of 17

MiamiGuy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 60 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

If it is definitely the S4 you want and you want to stay with o2, then there is no point in cancelling your contract to take out a new one and transfer your number across. That makes no sense at all.

All you need to do is upgrade to the phone and tariff you want. This way there is no need for a number change or anything like that. And this also means you can do it all online if you are good with the website. Log in. Upgrade online. Wait for handset to arrive.

If you are going on holiday though when you want to upgrade, I recommend upgrading when you come home and just use a cheap phone while on holiday.

I'm a Telefónica UK (O2) employee but post in a personal capacity. As such, views are my own and not those of the company.
Message 8 of 17

MI5
  • 143190 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions

Its the timing issue we are trying to work around, unless O2 are prepared to allow the upgrade 4 days early....?

Currently using:
Message 9 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you get round to ringing O2 to upgrade. I'm due to upgrade next week but was hoping they would give me a good deal on upgrade to S4 pre order. Tried ringing yesterday but my phone keeps losing signal and cut out after waiting in que for ages!
Message 10 of 17