cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Discount -S7/Edge and other new release phones

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone else think o2's terms and conditions for the student discount is very misleading? I went in the other day to upgrade from my Note 3 to the S7 edge, was nearly all ready to go box in hand when I asked about student discount.

Only then was I made aware that it cannot be applied to new release phones? Which to be honest doesnt even make sense, as the discount is only applied to the airtime bill.

Got home and did a little digging around and I am still not able to see where in o2's terms and conditions does it say the discount cant be applied.

What if ordered the phone online, and didnt try to redeem my discount until after the 14 day period where I could return my phone? Id be stuck in a contract without the discount.

What also doesnt help is if you go to the student offer page o2.co.uk/studentoffer and click 'smartphones on o2 refresh' the first phone you are faced with is the s7 and s7 edge.

Very bad practice I think, misleading to get sales.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122764 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous We totally agree about this. Occasionally O2 delay O2 Open on flagship phones but the S7 wasn't mentioned in the terms and conditions.or FAQ's

We had a recent thread running with someone making the same complaint. It was confirmed that it will be applied eventually to the S7 /Edge but can't be added retrospectively......

Edited to add the recent thread..http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/O2-Open-Code/m-p/956572/highlight/true#M20747

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
  • 93150 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

This is usually only applied to iphones when a new model is released but there have been instances where top end phones have been excluded for a couple of months after launch. You could think about a complaint here :

How to complain

Message 2 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122764 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous We totally agree about this. Occasionally O2 delay O2 Open on flagship phones but the S7 wasn't mentioned in the terms and conditions.or FAQ's

We had a recent thread running with someone making the same complaint. It was confirmed that it will be applied eventually to the S7 /Edge but can't be added retrospectively......

Edited to add the recent thread..http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/O2-Open-Code/m-p/956572/highlight/true#M20747

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122764 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

It isn't excluded on ALL new release phones though. Just certain flagship models which O2 know will sell out on release day whether Open is available or not

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122764 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

This morning I have checked those student offers for a second time to see if there is any change. None whatsoever.

http://www.o2.co.uk/studentoffer

I think the whole process is misleading. It still infers by default that you would get the student discount if you bought the  S7 on Refresh. Good job @Anonymous thought to ask before signing up to the contract...

Obviously a complaint is justified.... though it would be more appropriate if O2 made a clear statement that the discount would not be available on the S7 until xxxxx date....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144070 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Yes, as we said yesterday. It's not in the terms so a complaint is wholly justified.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 10

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
I'm sure though the T&Cs state they can change or withdraw the offer at anytime without notice. Profiteering 101 wink
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 7 of 10

jonsie
  • 93150 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions
Message 8 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23034 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

As I said yesterday in the other thread, this withholding of discounts on flagship phones is primarily based on greed. O2 knows that customers want to be the first to own a flagship phone, and that some will be willing to forego their rightful discount in order to have it. Stock issues have nothing to do with it. If O2 put in an order for more, the manufacturer will supply it. They would still be paid their agreed amount but O2 would have to take the hit by giving immediate discounts. O2, by choice, choose not to, and it's the customer who bears the brunt if they want the phone at release.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 10

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Maximise profits but alienate would-be new and existing customers...

Not anymore than overpricing the flagship handsets in the first place Happy Dance but thats another topic altogether. slight_smile

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 10 of 10