cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing data? Sharing account?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried talking to someone on LiveChat today but they didn't seem to know enough (*cough* anything)  and then I couldn't get through to anyone on the phone 😞

So, I have an old pay monthly tariff that I am happy with and don't want changed.  I have loads of data.  I've just got a new tablet which currently doesn't have a sim.  It would be nice to have a sim (for data) for when I am not near shops/businesses that have free wifi - I live in the country!

Is there any way of getting say a pay-as-you-go sim for the tablet where I don't need to keep it topped up but can use the data off my phone?  I don't want to tether the two as that just eats the batteries.

Or can this only be done through the O2 Refresh thingy tariff?

And what are the minium costs for that?

Basically I don't want to have to pay any money for data on my tablet if at all possible 😉 

(I'll just keep using my phone when out and about if that is the only way).

Many thanks for helping to clarify what seems to be a very confusing query......

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Yes and no.
You can have your phone as a lead tariff for data sharing but you need to start a new contract with it and set it as lead device at that point in time (it is important that you make this clear when buying your contract), but you can't just change what you have now to lead.
Once you have a lead you can then add other accounts which start at £7.50 a month for just data sharing or £15 for voice/text sharing too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Yes and no.
You can have your phone as a lead tariff for data sharing but you need to start a new contract with it and set it as lead device at that point in time (it is important that you make this clear when buying your contract), but you can't just change what you have now to lead.
Once you have a lead you can then add other accounts which start at £7.50 a month for just data sharing or £15 for voice/text sharing too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

That clarifies it.

I'll just leave it all as is then and just put up with no data on my tablet. I've managed so far 😉   

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Tethering is a free option if you have your phone with you but as you say, you need to deal with the battery consumption.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

*nod*  Tethering would be fine if I was really seriously stuck but it does stuck the juice out of the battery.

My phone will be sufficient 🙂

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Understood. Welcome to the forum btw slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6