cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammed by o2 over the phone!! AVOID o2

Anonymous
Not applicable

So recently I've upgraded to a new contract after 2 years with o2.

The agent on the phone claimed it was £13 a month, first month free, for 12 months, with no upfront costs. They even said I could have 3 accessories for free so they sent me a wireless charging kit, a selfie stick and an 8gb memory card. The phone is a samsung galaxy ace 4.

So I took the deal (originally I was going to leave o2 and now I wish I had!!). They claimed it was a special offer because I've been with them for 2 years.

Now my first bill is £157, and I had no idea why so I went on the live chat on the o2 website, where the agent said the charges were £109.99 for the phone and then the rest of the charges were for the accessories!!! Absolutely outrageous right? So the agent on the phone clearly lied to get me to sign up with a new contract. I even clarified on the phone multiple times that the deal was £13 a month for 12 months with no upfront costs to which they kept telling me yes that's right. Now I go to check my emails to find I've been charged for the phone and the accessories. Absolutely fuming, as the agent on the phone said multiple times that it was all free as part of the contract since I've been a loyal customer!! Not once did they say I'd be paying £157.00 up front for all this stuff. They were saying "do you want any more accessories? They're free". Can't believe I've been scammed over the phone by what's meant to be a big company, absolutely ridiculous and I will be taking further action.

I'm going to ring them tomorrow for more information, but I'm so annoyed right now that I had to vent my anger with this post.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
This smells very much like a 3rd party claiming to be o2.
It wasn't Aerial Communications was it?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 23

jonsie
  • 92911 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

One question, are you sure you upgraded through O2 and not a truasted partner? This has all the hallmarks of Aerial who foist a business contract on you.

Message 3 of 23

jonsie
  • 92911 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
My gut tells me a cold call from aerial
Message 5 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

I called them from 202 on my o2 phone though?

pay monthly

O2 Simplicity 500 12M 500MB 4G

You have 1 data allowance Bolt On and 1 additional Bolt On.

Message 6 of 23

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
12 month contract too.
With phone?
Message 7 of 23

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Isn't simplicity a sim only tariff?
Message 8 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told this tarriff was with the phone + I get the accessories for free, at £13 a month for 12 months, first month free. I couldn't believe it so I clarified multiple times is this the deal you are offering? I mean I literally asked 4-5 times and they said yes. Surely this can't be right considering a samsung galaxy ace 4 retails at 100-150 still. I really think I've been scammed and it's been 2 weeks not so can't get out of it?

Message 9 of 23

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yeah, simplicity is sim only but it sounds like you bought a phone too probably.
You do have 14 days to cancel though so you can send everything back and walk away or just send back phone and keep the sim card.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 23