cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP (Simple Mail Transport Protocol) email relay revers

Anonymous
Not applicable

They do exist at O2 I've just pinged one and seen the MX records for it so Guru help on Customer Services isn't GURU helpful. 

Tesco use O2 for their mobile phone network - and smtp.o2.co.uk works with a Tesco PAYG mobile phone to send emails.

Get a O2 SIM card and low and behold smtp.o2.co.uk also works to send email. 

transfer (PORT) your number existing mobile number to o2 and besides a catastrophic lack of mobile phone services ... smtp.o2.co.uk doesn't work. 

Given after much ado I can now get voice/data/text but still no smtp relays services its reasonable to conclude someone hasn't flicked a switch somewhere or added my new number to a white list. 

SMTP Servers are pretty simple think of someone being passed parcels and they throw them in the back of the delivery van only if its one of theirs. That person woudl be the SMTP server. and validation appears to be based on the phone number being an o2 phone number as no other credentials are asked for or required to send mail. 

You can TELNET in for a quick chat "helo" MAIL FROM - VRFY ect ect. but I hate TELNET and its for the techies do so they can identify problems not me! 

so the rubbish about "we got rid of these servers two years ago when we dumped the email accounts is just that" RUBBISH !   

why can I not send email though o2 SMTP server?  anyone with any ideas that don't involve switching it on and off or putting the details back in the SMTP server account on my mobile for the tenth time any enlightened GURUS out there ?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Cleoriff
  • 123027 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

I also fail to see why this FORUM is a bad advert for O2 Customer services ?

In fact this forum is a real bonus to O2 customers ....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144516 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions
As I said, this forum has nothing to do with o2 CS anyway.
It's quite a simple thing to understand?
Customers helping customers so therefore no official connection to o2?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 15

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Plus 99% of users are happy with their mail clients as is, asking their mobile network to jump through hoops so they can obtain an smtp relay is just backwards, especially as free options already exist to satisfy such a facility.
Oh and the names.co.uk smtp server you mentioned is £1.99 a month on their business plan. So cheap even jeff the plumber will just rack it up on his expenses and not give a damn.
I can't even begin to think why this issue is making you think it's o2s problem.
Message 13 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very sorry didn't realise it was your personal forum "Mr Moderator - Supreme" 

however your continual sarcasm and condescending comments have put me in my place now oh yes level 2 apprentice ...  

don't worry its all yours again I bother you anymore by posting on a "community forum"

Message 14 of 15

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Gonna moan at godaddy and fasthosts later cuz my o2 signal is crap.
Message 15 of 15