Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM only tariff

CaroleAnn
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have been trying (for over 2 hours) to keep my phone and have a SIM only tariff. My device will be paid off next month. I want to continue with an airtime only plan.......It has been a nightmare, 2 different calls and both call handlers have been unable to do this. Surely its pretty simple, it has taken ages and each time I have agreed to all the T&Cs and cost etc. Both times I was told there were no issues! I am unhappy that they have wasted my time. I  have been a customer for over 20 years, do I give up and get a great deal elsewhere, which would probably take 30 minutes, with no headache.   

More info

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144181 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

What exactly is the issue?
Once the device is paid you automatically drop to airtime only.
If you want a different tariff you just need to upgrade to the one you want.
https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/sim-only-deals#deviceType=phone&contractLength=P12M

Added lnk to how refresh works https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-does-O2-Refresh-work/ba-p/1014093

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @CaroleAnn sorry to hear about the frustration you've had about this. 😞 Please let us know if you're still stuck with this or if you've managed to sort it out since you last posted? Any help from the above info from @MI5

Message 3 of 12

CaroleAnn
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Marjo, sadly its bad news, I tried again twice last night and have given up. After joining 02 in 1995 I am leaving. I am going to another network. I will save £200 per year and they did it all in 20 minutes, polite and no fuss.

I then contacted 02 to ask for a PAC so that I can keep my number and they asked for an admin payment of £18.00..........Again, lots of faffing and I have decided 02 can keep my number and I will have a fresh start.   

Message 4 of 12

CaroleAnn
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Tried to do this several times. The cost was agreed, T &Cs agreed, then nothing. 1hour and 10 minutes on the first call, an hour on the next.......Gave up after 2 attempts last night. I don't know why it has been such an issue either. 02 did tell me that once my contract ended it DID NOT revert to air time only and it was my responsibility to organise a new contract. Verdict: Slow, unhelpful, not interested in long standing customers.
Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 144181 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
There is no charge for your PAC at all. It's completely free. The only charge would be if you used your PAC before your contracted term was complete.
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-to-get-your-PAC-2017-Update/ba-p/1052278
Anyway, as you are leaving and not taking your number, you will need to cancel your O2 account correctly or it will continue on a 30 day rolling basis and you will continue to be billed for it.
How to cancel here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/hig...
Finally, if you are keeping your phone to go sim only elsewhere, you may need your O2 phone unlocking.
Help for that here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-S...
Best of luck with your new network.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 144181 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@CaroleAnnwrote:
Tried to do this several times. The cost was agreed, T &Cs agreed, then nothing. 1hour and 10 minutes on the first call, an hour on the next.......Gave up after 2 attempts last night. I don't know why it has been such an issue either. 02 did tell me that once my contract ended it DID NOT revert to air time only and it was my responsibility to organise a new contract. Verdict: Slow, unhelpful, not interested in long standing customers.

If you are on a Refresh tariff it most certainly DOES revert to airtime only.

You do not need to do anything in this case.

@Marjo where are O2 getting these advisors from and are they trained to do their job?

Currently using:
Message 7 of 12

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Indeed if on Refresh it should behave as @MI5 stated above so not sure what the issue here has been, sorry to hear that you decided to leave O2 @CaroleAnn. 😞 I'm going to drop you a quick PM to see if we can help get to the bottom of this - please do check when you get a moment?

Also thanks for coming back to the topic to update us about the situation, much appreciated.

Message 8 of 12

CaroleAnn
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I agree, I called to discuss my contract ending next month, I asked "will someone be in touch", I was told a flat "No" hence all the faffing and timewasting yesterday.
Message 9 of 12

CaroleAnn
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Update.......It is now going to take 7 days to unlock my phone?

Message 10 of 12