Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in Italy

MartinSquash
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi does anyone understand O2 fair usage policy on roaming in Europe. I have a place in Italy and am in the summer for about 90 days continuously. No WiFi in the house so am heavy on data. I use about 50 to 60gb a month. Was going to buy a sim card with 100gb data and month. Until I read something about being in Europe for more than 63 days in any 4 month period. As i am but didn't understand the additional charges. Help.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MartinSquash
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I didn't say sky mobile directly but did say "a provider that uses the o2 network". There is no mention of the 63 days or any data cap in their t&c and had a long phone chat with sky and confirmed no problem doing what I want to do. All very strange I agree.
Message 11 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Best of luck with it @MartinSquash. It certainly isn't something I would be risking whilst abroad but if it works for you then that's all to the good. thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

I've checked all their T&C's and can't see any mention of restrictions either @MartinSquash 

Sounds like a nice "dodge" wink

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 19

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@MartinSquash 

You'll have to come back and let us know if it works. We can recommend it to others if it does...yahoo

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 19

MartinSquash
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yep will see how it goes. My partner is switching to o2 with 100gb allowance. So between her 63 days thing and my piggybank we should be OK!! Will let you know how we get on.
Message 15 of 19

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10180 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions
@MartinSquash

Just be a bit careful with this as the EU rules state the following:

"As long as a person travels periodically and spends more time in his home country than abroad over any 4-month period, they can fully benefit from Roam Like at Home."

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/policies/roaming

So although not in Sky's T&C's EU Law and Policy is on their side...
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 16 of 19

MartinSquash
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Interesting point. Also found this in their contract pdf.
"Your use of any roaming services (sending or receiving calls or texts or using data outside the UK) must not exceed that reasonably expected of a reasonable person using the Sky Mobile services for periodic travel. If you breach this condition we may charge you a reasonable fee for using your Sky Mobile services abroad. We will inform you by SMS or email what any additional fees will be before we start charging you." I feel another phone call coming on!!
Message 17 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@MartinSquash 

I still feel using a local sim for 2 weeks and then reverting back to O2 for under 63 days is the way to go.

Sorry for repeating this, but I do feel CS of any network will tell you exactly what you want to hear.

Particularly during this pandemic where their main aim is to make a sale and get you off the phone asap.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 19

MartinSquash
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi I said I would give update re roaming in Italy.  As you know just about all the networks have introduced roaming charges and various restrictions. Back last November I switched to Sky as they have a data piggy bank system. Went for their 25 GB a month and by July I had about 170 GB in my piggy bank. I have been in Italy for 4 weeks and have transferred almost 20GB from my piggy bank. Works brilliantly well. You can transfer from 1 to 5GB a day.  Thank you Sky.

Message 19 of 19