cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phishing or legit O2 text message?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Received a text today from 02UK ( no space) saying "you're whizzing though your data. And you have almost run out. To see where its gone just open my02. Get the lowdown: [link removed]". Stupidly i clicked on the link as i ended my contract last week and ported my number to a new network so thought it odd. Can o2 advise if this is a phishing scam and if so what i should do next???? Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi, Received a text today from 02UK ( no space) saying "you're whizzing though your data. And you have almost run out. To see where its gone just open my02. Get the lowdown: [link removed]". Stupidly i clicked on the link as i ended my contract last week and ported my number to a new network so thought it odd. Can o2 advise if this is a phishing scam and if so what i should do next???? Thanks.

Cheers for letting everyone know about this @Anonymous, we'll pass it on to O2 to see if it is legitimate!

To add: we have checked this now with O2 and it does seem like it is a legitimate text notification, not phishing. slight_smile However, just to find out why it was sent as your contract has ended, let's check that for you too. I've sent you another PM about it.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93246 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Anything with a link I would stay well away from. They usually only send the 80% type of text unless they are trying to promote My O2.

Perhaps one of the admin or O2 staff members can check? 

Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 144398 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
s.o2.co.uk is, I doubt, going to be an O2 domain.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Cheers for letting everyone know about this @Anonymous, we'll pass it on to O2 to see if it is legitimate!

To add: we have checked this now with O2 and it does seem like it is a legitimate text notification, not phishing. slight_smile However, just to find out why it was sent as your contract has ended, let's check that for you too. I've sent you another PM about it.

Message 4 of 8

Makembill
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My wife has had the same message about whizzing through her data. She has an allowance of 500mb per month and with nine days left on her monthly plan has used only 93mb. If this is legit, why is o2 sending this out when there is less than 30% of the month left, but more than 80% of her allowance? 

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144398 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
They often get it wrong unfortunately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Makembill
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I wonder how many people opt for an unnecessary bolt-on as a consequence if this, though! 

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 144398 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Or maybe they don't get it "wrong" wink

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8