cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overpaying?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all!

So i'm back on an O2 contract, i just thought i'd ask, is deliberately overpaying a bill possible?  I'll give an example scenario:

My bill is £36/month (£18 device plan and £18 tarrif/sim), lets say at some point in the month i have £72 or so spare, can i login to my O2 account and pay this into my account immediately? I assume this would generate a negative balance and be used as credit? IF that is correct, i assume no direct debit would be taken out of my bank account until that negative balance then reaches a non-negative balance? I ask because there may be times where i want to ensure all my bills are covered when the money is already there rather than waiting for the actual debit date to come, and also because some of my other bills are on different dates and i prefer to pay everything all on 1 day if that makes sense!

Thanks in advance for any information grin

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

As I understand it if you pay into you account the credit is used for the airtime bill and not the device portion as there are seperate direct debits for each .

You can chose to pay the ammount off the device plan but think this has to be done via the plan and not airtime section of my o2 or over the phone.

From the payments link in @Cleoriff reply

for the device tab

If you want to pay more than your monthly repayment, or settle your remaining balance, call 202 from an O2 mobile or 0344 8090202 from a landline, or visit an O2 store. Extra payments will reduce the monthly cost of your Device Plan, but won’t shorten the length of your contract.

Pay higher amount?

Please note:

This payment is for the current month’s Device Plan. If the payment doesn’t clear before your next Direct Debit, then a further payment might be taken from your account.

Please note:

This payment is for the current month’s Device Plan. If the payment doesn’t clear before your next Direct Debit, then a further payment might be taken from your account.

and airtime tab

This payment is for your Airtime Plan - your minutes, texts and data. If it doesn’t clear before your next Direct Debit, then a further payment might be taken from your account.

Uncleared payments made since your last bill won’t show up on the balance above.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous. You can make an additional payment whenever you like via My O2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2  in this section displayed like this....

make a payment.JPG

As far as I am aware these extra payments wont affect monthly direct debits ...these will still go through on the date set as this is as per contract...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 12

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You can credit your account and direct debits will normally be taken from that credit so it won't take from your bank account. However I'm not on Refresh and I'm not sure if the handset direct debit will take from the credit . Someone on here who is on Refresh will hopefully confirm.

Message 3 of 12

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

As I understand it if you pay into you account the credit is used for the airtime bill and not the device portion as there are seperate direct debits for each .

You can chose to pay the ammount off the device plan but think this has to be done via the plan and not airtime section of my o2 or over the phone.

From the payments link in @Cleoriff reply

for the device tab

If you want to pay more than your monthly repayment, or settle your remaining balance, call 202 from an O2 mobile or 0344 8090202 from a landline, or visit an O2 store. Extra payments will reduce the monthly cost of your Device Plan, but won’t shorten the length of your contract.

Pay higher amount?

Please note:

Please note:

and airtime tab

This payment is for your Airtime Plan - your minutes, texts and data. If it doesn’t clear before your next Direct Debit, then a further payment might be taken from your account.

Uncleared payments made since your last bill won’t show up on the balance above.

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 12

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

You can also ask o2 to cahnge the date your bill is produced so the payment is when you want it .

Apple Watch series 4

Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info everybody, @adamtemp64 is correct, there are actually 2 debits going to be taken from my bank account, 1 for the device and 1 for the tarrif, so, based on what you've all said i guess if i ever want to put the account in credit i'd have to overpay on both, i'll experiment with it in a few days and see, if it doesnt go as intended i'll just give O2 a call

Thanks again everybody slight_smile

Message 6 of 12

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

the device plan will only reduce by the overpayment from the wording so not in credit just reduce the remaining direct debits by overpayment / months left = new monthly device payment for remaining months

Apple Watch series 4

Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up!

Message 8 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I think all the info above is correct but I'd like to clarify that the device plan is a fixed amount every month which doesn't change until it's all paid off. Overpayment can be made which would reduce the overall term but you will still pay your monthly DD whilst there is a balance owing.
The airtime payment will be taken from the pot of money that you can accrue if you wish to overpay.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Overpayment can be made which would reduce the overall term but you will still pay your monthly DD whilst there is a balance owing.

Yes this is exactly as I thought. DD remains in place paying the same amount each month but contract term would be shorter...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 12