cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online Top-up impossible with non-UK adress

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am this close to cutting ALL my ties with O2. It is impossible to get help for problems that are not trivial!
The online form doesn't even allow for a credit or debit card that is registered with an address OUTSIDE the UK. You really don't want Tourists to be able to have a UK phone?????

Sincerely,

DH

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123177 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

You could try this route to top up. Helps many people abroad

https://www.mobiletopup.co.uk/o2

Other ways to top up when abroad in this thread. Scroll down to PAYG https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-can-I-pay-my-bill/ba-p/1014090

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
  • 123177 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

You could try this route to top up. Helps many people abroad

https://www.mobiletopup.co.uk/o2

Other ways to top up when abroad in this thread. Scroll down to PAYG https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-can-I-pay-my-bill/ba-p/1014090

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10250 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3016 Solutions
Can't really blame o2 for this approach, as it's done to minimise risk from fraudulent transactions, done with none UK cards.

Try getting a sim in some eu countries where you need a passport and can only top up by cash...
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 9

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Strange but you can buy a voucher with a non-uk card but cannot top up online. But this isn't just an O2 issue. I don't believe you can use an overseas card with EE or Vodaphone either. Not sure about Three tbh.

Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 144755 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions
You can't use a UK card to top up a foreign sim either so your annoyance should be aimed at the mobile communications industry rather than just one network.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 123177 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

I could use my UK card to top up my foreign Data sim when in Spain. However, the process involved a trip to the Orange ES shop.....presentation of my passport ....as well as the sim info. It then had to be activated instore which involved a phone call by staff to the activation centre I was quite pleased to get wifi installed in the apartment!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 144755 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions
Yeah but not online.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

So going back to the original post, cutting all ties with O2 will be pointless as the same problem is across the mobile networks in general. Just buy a voucher as and when needed. Most UK banking phone apps now allow you to top up via the app though I'm wondering if this is the case with overseas banks. I can certainly top up my Thai mobile through the RBS banking app with my UK debit account.

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 144755 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions
Yes that's the crux of it.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9