Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ofcom investigat O2 billing accuracy

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35053 Posts
  • 222 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions
Interesting failure of O2's billing systems to correctly bill and access direct-debit for a cancellation executed over a weekend has been flagged for investigation by Ofcom:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/07/ofcom-probe-extraordinary-billing-accuracy-failure-at-...
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122135 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

More than interesting @pgn , I would say outrageous!!

The notification also suggests that from at least 1 January 2012 – 7 March 2019, O2 took duplicate final direct debit payments from customers who terminated their contracts on a Saturday or Sunday and had an outstanding periodic bill to pay.

That's 7 years! I wonder how much 'additional' money went into O2 coffers?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 14

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Indeed, this is quite concerning
Message 3 of 14

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I would say quite a lot of additional money @Cleoriff. Quite disgusting really. Antiquated systems alone are not to blame. O2 had to know this was going on and did nothing to correct this. Shameful.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 4 of 14

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Easy money. Companies should get hit with mammoth fines to discourage a flagrant breach of the regulations.

Message 5 of 14

MI5
  • 143190 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Easy money. Companies should get hit with mammoth fines to discourage a flagrant breach of the regulations.

Which I wholeheartedly agree with, but, who ultimately pays these fines.......?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 14

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35053 Posts
  • 222 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

Not to mention people whose names were handed over to Credit Reference/Defaults agencies by O2 as a result of the extra claim for payment failing after the contract owner has terminated, rightly so, the direct debit mandate... 🙄

It's not easy to clear such Default notices.

As for the Fines, well - O2 is in the business of making money, so inevitably the Customer will lose out. Oh the humanity... 

Message 7 of 14

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Which I wholeheartedly agree with, but, who ultimately pays these fines.......?

All of us @MI5 , when the company fined puts its costs up to offset against their fines.

This is outrageous.  In this day and age it absolutely staggers me that this kind of thing can happen.  I work with data and databases every day, and a half decently written database system would prevent this from ever happening, it really isn't difficult. 

Thanks

Steve
Message 8 of 14

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

This happened to me once about 5 years ago. My final bill included some early termination fees so it was a sizeable sum that was taken twice although the 2nd attempt failed as I didn't transfer money from savings to cover it as I thought it was better to deal with the fallout of the direct debit bouncing rather than allowing it to clear and then wait forever for O2 to give me my money back

If I remember right I ended up complaining to the CEO of O2 and had contact with the executive office who admitted their error and also ended up having to complain to my bank as they ignored a request to refund charges following O2's admission it was an error and therefore covered by the direct debit guarantee

Can't remember fully but think I ended up with goodwill payments from both O2 and my bank in the end

Message 9 of 14

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Plenty of examples of the consumer being treated with contempt by companies.  It is unfortunately the way of the world these days. Companies push the limits and try and get away with as much as they possibly can.... until they are caught.  Then they just put it down to "technical glitches"!!!

Thanks

Steve
Message 10 of 14