Did you mean: 

O2 refresh is there a wait?

JamieLeeWV
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi guys. I've just joined o2.

I've just got the galaxy a51 on a 12 month o2 refresh for 41 per month with a 150 upfront cost.

My airtime is £29 for 30gb and my phone plan is £12.42

Can I use o2 refresh to upgrade? My contract is only 12 months so I would need to pay the 12.42 x 12 months remaining In order to upgrade?

Also would there be another credit check for the refresh upgrade? I did initally try for a p30 Pro but due to my credit history o2 wanted a £450 up front deposit so I settled for the a51. So I don't want to return the handset and cancel within the 14 days and try for a high end model as I don't seem to be approved on a new contract without a high deposit

So not sure if I'd be able to use o2 refresh to upgrade to a more premium handset with no credit check? And not such a high deposit?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks slight_smile
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

djbsuffolk
Level 9: Fired up
  • 140 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

I would agree with @MI5 here and give it a few months - clearly this could be seen as a loophole to aviod paying deposits on premium devices (which they have probably thought of), and the fact they did want a deposit off you before you decided on the A51 would make me worry some flags might be raised there end if you acted quickly. I've seen some reviews of the A51 and it seems like a pretty decent piece of kit - and don't forget there is a few new devices from Samsung coming shortly too - but it's obviously down to you - but remember O2 have their fabled business practices, other criteria that they use to decide if you can be a customer, and of course no one knows what they are and you don't want to fall foul of them - but if you do decided to upgrade straight away let us know the outcome! 

Message 11 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I fully endorse what the others have said. Build up your credit rating rather than leap to a premium device where they may want a large sum upfront. And who knows whether they do a credit referral again. If they do, it's possible you will fail it due to the short interval between referrals. Have patience at this stage and wait until summer for your flagship handset.

Message 12 of 14

JamieLeeWV
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

The a51 arrives tomorrow. I will test it out and see whats it like.

My account is all set up now, out of curiosity I checked my refresh and it says I am eligble to refresh and upgrade now if I pay off the £149 fee.

However it doesn't let me do this online says I have to ring 202. I spoke to an advisor on the upgrades team on live chat and they said there is a 'billing issue' which is preventing me from upgrading?

No idea what that means as my 1st bill hasn't even generated yet 😂, maybe its that?
Message 13 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@JamieLeeWV 

Yes, you'll need to wait until you get your first bill in a couple of days time.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 14