Did you mean: 

O2 Wifi app wants latest version

xcytin
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I've got a 64gb Nexus 6P and have downloaded the O2 wifi appfrom the play store (version 1.3 dated 3 Sep 2014).

I'm registerd with O2 wifi and it used to work on my LG G3 fine. WhenI open the app it takes me to the registration page and asks me to enter my mobile number. As soon as click on the get code button I get a message saying "Please download the latest version of the O2 Wifi App from the App Store"

Any advice please?

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is with the Application can't read MAC address from the phone on Android 6.0

it has not used the new permission model to obtain it.

the message download come from their API where a null MACaddress is passed.

curl -X GET "http://api.o2wifi.net.uk/v1?client_id=momac&method=customer.mobile_login&mac_address=02-00-00-00-00-...

{"data":[],"state":"new","messages":{"mac_address":"Please download the latest version of the O2 Wifi App from the App Store."},"errors":{"mac_address":["is_not_ios7",["02-00-00-00-00-00"]]}}

i am adventurous enough to decompile the APP and manually insert my MAC address and complile the app again, then install.

I now do have my nexus 6P in  my device list.

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @xcytin Not sure why it isn't updating automatically...but just checked Playstore and this appears to be the latest version..https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.o2.android.wifi&hl=en_GB

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Someone else reported the exact same issue and we thought it was because the app hasn't been updated for Marshmallow yet.
Maybe @Toby can follow up?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think @MI5 might be right, the new version will need to be optimised so it can run smoothly on all the latest episode devices running the latest versions of lollipop & The new Marshmallow update

Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is with the Application can't read MAC address from the phone on Android 6.0

it has not used the new permission model to obtain it.

the message download come from their API where a null MACaddress is passed.

curl -X GET "http://api.o2wifi.net.uk/v1?client_id=momac&method=customer.mobile_login&mac_address=02-00-00-00-00-...

{"data":[],"state":"new","messages":{"mac_address":"Please download the latest version of the O2 Wifi App from the App Store."},"errors":{"mac_address":["is_not_ios7",["02-00-00-00-00-00"]]}}

i am adventurous enough to decompile the APP and manually insert my MAC address and complile the app again, then install.

I now do have my nexus 6P in  my device list.

Capture.PNG

Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
More poor programming - surely not wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't mind helping 1 of 2 person here if they are adventurous enough to trust me. I can help compile a version for your Mac address
Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
We need @Toby to feed back on the issue so O2 can fix it for everyone.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 13

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

I'm looking into this now

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

The issue is obvious now.

just wonder how long will it take for O2 to release the new App.

the only reason i have to hack and made my device work is i can't stand missing a feature that i previously have on my nexus 6. I am now back enjoing internet access in london underground.

best of luck for the others. (i can slowly wait for their new app, now that i have a working underground Wifi)

Message 10 of 13