Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Tried To Take Final Bill Direct Debit Twice

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Apologies in advance, this thread is probably going to be a mini rant rather than actually seeking help as I've already taken steps to hopefully resolve the situation as I'll cover at the end.

Woke up this morning to an email alert from my bank informing me a direct debit was taking me overdrawn and I would need to credit funds by 4pm or it would be unpaid. On checking in internet banking it appears O2 have taken my final bill of £365.12 out for a second time after collecting the payment successfully by direct debit on 28/04/2014. Obviously this has been done in error.

I've fired off an email to executive office (as this is quite a serious issue) seeking the following:

1. A letter from O2 admitting their error that I can provide to my bank in the hope that my bank will not charge me or report the missed payment to the credit reference agencies

2. A good will payment to compensate me as well as cover any charges in the event the bank does not accept number 1

3. An assurance that O2 will not report a missed payment to the credit reference agencies as a payment was not due as it had already been made

It's just as well that this was my final account to be terminated with O2 following price rises for all as if it wasn't I'd probably be leaving anyway following this

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hope all goes ok.
Message 11 of 19

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

According to O2's twitter a letter has been posted today in response to my complaint. What it says and whether O2 have sorted out all the problems this issue has/could cause remains a mystery at this moment in time

Message 12 of 19

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Letter received from O2 this morning. In order to explain why it happened it's probably best to timeline the events around my account closure:

9th April: PAC code given to 3

10th April: Number ports out and closes my account with O2. ETF applied to account

12th April: Regular monthly bill generated for £365.12 including ETF. Direct Debit scheduled for 28th April

27th April: Final bill generated. No further charges or payments applied since last bill. Balance still stands at £365.12. Further direct debit scheduled for 12th May

28th April: Direct debit for 12th April bill taken taking balance to zero. Direct debit for final bill remains scheduled

12th May: Direct Debit for final bill taken. Balance would have become £365.12 in credit had Direct Debit cleared however as it wasn't owing to O2 I allowed the Direct Debit to bounce rather than transferring money from my savings to clear it

O2 have said this was down to a system error and have apologised and credited my bank account with £10 to cover what I will be charged and a further £30. Was expecting slightly more I do have to say in light of the sums involved but there you go.

Now I have to contact my bank and see if they will put things right at their end as this wasn't my fault and hopefully get them to cancel the charge

Message 13 of 19

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Dave,

How are you getting on with this?
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 14 of 19

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

No change since last update. Awaiting a response from the letter I sent my bank on Saturday and still waiting on the payment from O2 to reach my bank account although I wouldn't expect that until tomorrow at the earliest

Message 15 of 19

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Just to update this thread, my bank misplaced my first letter so I eventually had to send another one to them. They've now cancelled the charge (and paid £25 to make up for losing my first letter). I've also received the £40 payment from O2

Message 16 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Dave for the update to a messy experience.

slight_smile
Message 17 of 19

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Thanks for the updating Dave, I'm glad its resolving itself. slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 18 of 19

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Glad you got there eventually, just a shame that these things happen in the first place.:smileyhappy:

Message 19 of 19