cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Refresh and Customer Loyalty - a good idea but again little help for existing customers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well having just got off the phone with a very nice lady at O2, whose own line manager said they thought it ridiculous that with the new Refresh available, O2 still won't look at this on a case by case basis, I'm tied into this - and whats more ridiculous is that on the current contract I am on if I wanted out not only would I have to pay off the phone but pay for services which are no longer being provided - IE: airtime etc etc. I checked, that's over £600 left over the next 16 months of my 24 month contract. The person on the phone said have I tried to see "what O2 would give on Recycle" - yes I have and it's £240 - that doesn't even begin to cover. Yet O2 won't look at each case separately and see if they can work with EXISTING and LOYAL customers.

I have a phone which is useless for my needs and I am now stuck with it for the next 16 months. O2 won't look at this on a case by case basis and amend contracts to transfer to Refresh, so basically O2 have swung a shiny carrot at its customers that won't actually help a lot of us at this time. Yet again I feel loyal customers are being kicked in the teeth. I see no reason why O2 can not look at this on a case by case basis, especially if they know the customer is willing to sell the phone back to them (and we all know O2 sells refurbished phones back at double what the customer will get on Recycle) and take out a new phone contract with them for a different handset.

Seems wholly unfair, and it's left me feeling very upset - I look at the brick I have sitting on its charger right now (iPhone 5) and it sickens me to know I can not get out of this phone contract and there is nothing O2 is willing to do to help. Please don't get me wrong I am well aware what a contract means BUT what I am upset about it O2 puts this new system out there which would benefit a LOT of existing customers and yet they are not willing to work with them to see if there are merits to moving customers over based on the case presented to them.

It seems that loyalty is no longer rewarded.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Let's put it another way, you are asking for something that O2 will not do and are unlikely to ever do.

Take the advice and buy a new sim free phone and continue with your contract.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 11 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well rightly or wrongly we all know what happens there - but as I also know, companies can look at things on a case by case basis - that is all, in the end of the day I am asking for.

Message 12 of 28

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

That isn't what contracts are about sorry.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 13 of 28

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

So to get back to the real issue what is not working on the iphone 5 that forces you to use the ipad? they both run the same ios and apps (just a bigger screen layout) ?

Perhaps then wil will get to the bottom of the issue

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 14 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
I may not get a solution but I am trying to find a way to work with O2 on this - I like O2, I find it has the best customer service, and I have even introduced family to them - its not just O2 its companies not willing to work with existing customers anymore - it rewards new customers but rarely do companies reward existing customers.

I see all your points I do, I'm just trying to find a solution - if there can be one had.

I'm talking with a manager at the moment.
Message 15 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
These guys have given you great advice. Take it please. This is going nowhere now, buy a new phone if you don't want the iPhone 5
Message 16 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not been unwelcoming of the advice anywhere in my posts. I have spoken to O2 - I have decided to get a second phone and my husband will be helping me with the costs of the iPhone 5 as he will be able to make use of it.

Again I appreciate the advice but at the same my issue - maybe and admittedly naively - was to see if anything could be done to find a work around which benefitted both O2 and myself.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to answer.

Message 17 of 28

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

We couldn't really help much, but I hope you get a good deal whatever you decide.

Message 18 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've read these posts with great interest and I understand what everyone has been saying about T & C's and being in contract but, I agree with you. I have been an O2 customer for 9 years and my current contract has 12 months to run. I spoke to customer services about going on to refresh and I was told that unless I am eligible for an up-grade or a new customer they can't help which certainly makes me feel I am being penalised for being a loyal customer. I'm afraid that in 12 months time when my contract is up for renewal, I will no longer be an O2 customer.

Message 19 of 28

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm afraid that in 12 months time when my contract is up for renewal, I will no longer be an O2 customer. 

Which is entirely your choice, but do come back and let us know when you find a network that allows you to change your mind half way through your contract, penalty free......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 28